Home Open Account Help 381 users online

Canadian Railroads > VIA Seat Sales?

Date: 09/28/14 06:30
VIA Seat Sales?
Author: andersonb109

I haven't seen a VIA 50% off seat sale lately. But I do see a lot of "last minute" deals. I need to book a bedroom from Toronto to Vancouver for Dec. 30 departure to see the Wings beat up on the Canucks (hoping the train isn't more than 8 hours late!). As a VIA Preference member, I used to get notices of seat sales frequently. Now nothing. Anyone have any idea what's up or if I should hold out a bit longer to book. I can't take a chance and wait on a last minute deal due to need to travel on a specific date. Thanks in advance.

Date: 09/28/14 10:36
Re: VIA Seat Sales?
Author: LKeithR

To me the obvious thing is to call Via Rail and see what they have to say...

Keith Robertson
Langley, BC

Date: 09/28/14 10:51
Author: greasemonkey

At that time of the year, I wouldn't count on there being many last minute deals. I have received a few notices from Via about special deals recently, but I don't remember if they were seat sales, or just double your points deals. I haven't been in the market to buy tickets, so I just trashed the notices.

Date: 09/28/14 14:47
Author: DrawingroomA

On Facebook, VIA is asked frequently when the next sale will be and the answer is always the same: "We never know when the next sale will be. Keep checking or register for e-mail alerts." It has indeed been a long time since the last 50% sale. Even the Express Deals have all gone. A month ago there were loads of Express Deals for the Canadian and the Ocean. But as they were sold, they were not replaced with dates further in the future as they usually are. From my observations, the Canadian - despite the appalling time-keeping (thanks to CN) which has resulted in Toronto arrivals of four to ten hours late and Toronto departures ranging from 12:30 a.m. to 7:00 a.m instead of 10:00 p.m. - has done very well with passenger loads. On the many Toronto arrivals I have seen there have been no fewer than 10 sleepers and as many as 14. I had two trips on the Ocean (June and August) and the train was full. Perhaps VIA feels they don't need to have large discounts at this time.

A while back a friend had to take the Canadian from Toronto to Vancouver on a certain date, so he booked a "cabin for 2" well in advance at the best available "discounted" rate. Close to the travel date there was an Express sale offering 75% off the full fare. To take advantage of this he had to pay the cancellation fee of $100 but he still saved a bundle.

There are always good fares available in the corridor for advance booking in Economy (Escape fares) and for Business Class.

Date: 09/29/14 02:43
Author: andersonb109

Thanks for the info. And the "obvious" answer....to call VIA isn't viable. If they advertised a seat sale in advance, everyone would wait for it and never pay the normal fare in advance..as I will most likely have to do.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0345 seconds