Home Open Account Help 291 users online

Canadian Railroads > VIA Reservations Great Service

Date: 09/29/14 09:43
VIA Reservations Great Service
Author: andersonb109

VIA reservation agents are the best. So superior to most I encounter at Amtrak. I just scored a Cabin for 2 using my Preference points from Toronto to Edmonton...paying for a Cabin for 1 the rest of the way. Much less cost than the 50% seat sale I was waiting for. Some points of note: I didn't realize that it's the same amount of points necessary for a Cabin for 2 as for a Cabin for 1 (roomette). Because when paying, it's almost double. On Amtrak, I believe points are double also for a double bedroom. And the agent had no issue overriding the computer to get the specific rooms I wanted. On Amtrak, I've more than once been told that "all rooms are the same" and that I must take what the computer assigns! The VIA confirmation and boarding passes arrived before the conversation ended. I also booked Amtrak to Seattle from Vancouver on line and had to call back to get the boarding pass. Only the confirmation was originally sent. Apparently the day of my departure, the Prestige service will be on the train in the form of the Park Car as the Cabin for 3 (Drawing Room) didn't show as available or even sold out. It did turn up as sold out on the previous departure so it looks like one day per week gets the new service. While not booking a room due to high cost and no need for a bigger bed, window or TV, it will be interesting to see what the rest of the re-done car looks like. Stay tuned. Departure isn't until Dec. 30.

Date: 09/29/14 12:28
Re: VIA Reservations Great Service
Author: DrawingroomA

It seems you got a great deal. I have a lot of experience with the VIA Preference programme. When I have asked about having a double room for myself I have always been told that it costs double points. Even when the cabins for 1 (roomettes) were sold out I was told I would have to pay double points for a cabin for 2. (This has always seemed unfair because a paid cabin for 2 for one passenger costs exactly 50% more than a cabin for 1.) This applies to the Budd sleepers. The Renaissance cabins for 2 have no point surcharge because there are no singles in that equipment. I know people who have booked a cabin for 2 on the Canadian with a 50% point discount coupon, so they paid the same number of points they would have paid for a cabin for 1. Was this the case with you, "andersonb109" or did you get an unusual deal?

Date: 09/30/14 09:44
Re: VIA Reservations Great Service
Author: joemvcnj

The one advantage of using a live agent rather than Julie for a reservation is to get a specific room. With that option taken away, they are discouraging use of a human taking down a reservation.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0392 seconds