Home Open Account Help 367 users online

Canadian Railroads > Quebec City railroad points of interest

Date: 10/10/14 18:07
Quebec City railroad points of interest
Author: DocJohn

I am heading to Quebec City for a scientific meeting to be held at the Chateau Frontenac hotel. Any train watching points within walking distance of the hotel?

JL

Macon, GA

Date: 10/10/14 18:50
Re: Quebec City railroad points of interest
Author: Ray_Murphy

Everything in this report is within easy walking distance of the Chateau Frontenac:

http://walkerweb.ca/?p=1636

Date: 10/11/14 03:35
Author: ghCBNS

The Chateau Frontenac itself is a RR point of interest as it was originally a Canadian Pacific Railway Hotel and don’t miss VIA’s Gare du Palais. As noted in the link (posted above) behind the station (or on the adjacent road bridge) there's good views of VIA trains arriving and departing the station) PS: Don't let the snow in the photos scare you. These were taken during Carnival in February.

http://pages.globetrotter.net/burridge/PalaisStnIllus.html#PALAIS_PIX

http://pages.globetrotter.net/burridge/Map_QBC-RyFS.jpg

http://pages.globetrotter.net/burridge/W-C_Tunnel.html#CP_WCTNL

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/11/14 04:09 by ghCBNS.

Date: 10/11/14 03:38

Also......take the ferry a mile across the St Lawrence to Levis and the view back across the River to Quebec City. That’s the Chateau Frontenac on the cliff and to get back up that cliff.....take the Funicular Railway.

Date: 10/11/14 03:41

Quebec is fascinating for the history buff.....the walled city with its gates and fortifications and the narrow streets lined with bars and cafe.

Date: 10/16/14 08:05
Author: DocJohn

Thank you to all for your help. So far, I have not gotten out much because I have been in meetings or in my hotel room preparing presentations or doing work for clients.

John

Date: 10/20/14 09:30
Author: Lackawanna484

Thanks for the great pictures. Quebec City is a wonderful place.

Years ago that ferry led to the CN /Via station at Levis. Magical place in the winter with steam heated cars hissing, Alco cab units on the head end, etc. And several trains for the eastern provinces.

Date: 10/20/14 14:49

Lackawanna484 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Years ago that ferry led to the CN /Via station at
> Levis. Magical place in the winter with steam
> heated cars hissing, Alco cab units on the head
> end, etc. And several trains for the eastern
> provinces.

Like these?

The w/b Scotian at Levis in Jan 1977 and Jan 1979

Date: 10/20/14 15:00
Author: twin_star_rocket

I have some I took in Quebec City in the early 70's (?) over Christmas. VERY cold; when you exhaled, there was no cloud, only glitter. I'll have to dig those out.

Brian Ehni

Date: 10/20/14 15:02
Author: Lackawanna484

Thanks for all the pictures from each of you.

I took a similar ride across the river in the late 1970s or early 1980s. Howling wind, lots of ice, similar equipment. Awful day, great memories.

My wife, on the other hand, remained in the lounge of the Frontenac Hotel, with a warm drink or two. Watching her fool of a husband freeze every extremity.

Date: 10/20/14 15:38

Lackawanna484 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I took a similar ride across the river in the late
> 1970s or early 1980s. Howling wind, lots of ice,
> similar equipment. Awful day, great memories.
>
> My wife, on the other hand, remained in the lounge
> of the Frontenac Hotel, with a warm drink or two.
> Watching her fool of a husband freeze every
> extremity.

And you could have done a great little railfan excursion in Quebec City back in the ‘80s on VIA’s “St. Laurent” to Mont Joli.

It departed from Gare du Palais in downtown Quebec City and made a wide loop around the city. Stopped at Ste-Foy, crossed the St Lawrence to Charny then continued onto Levis. Here you could get off, look across the river and see Gare du Palais where you had departed from an hour and twenty minutes earlier....25 track miles away but only about a mile “as the crow flies” across the river........Then just hop on the ferry and take the Funicular Railway back up that rock-cliff to the Chateau Frontenac.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.2292 seconds