Home Open Account Help 233 users online

Canadian Railroads > 21 years ago...BC Rail - help!

Date: 12/09/14 16:34
21 years ago...BC Rail - help!
Author: pummer

Old age - first the memory goes and then... I can't remember what else. Anyway, here's an example of why it's important to write down details of your photos as soon as possible, especially if it's in unfamiliar territory. The only info. on the slide mount says "BC Rail - Whistler, BC 5/7/93". After 21 years, I can't remember the shot. I know someone will be able to help out. Is the oncoming train southbound or northbound? Was this Whistler or maybe Mons? Any help is appreciated.

Date: 12/09/14 17:04
Re: 21 years ago...BC Rail - help!
Author: hoggerdoug

I'm tending towards the north end of Wedge, a few miles north of Mons. At wedge there is a short siding, wye and gravel pit. Doug

Date: 12/09/14 17:15

I would say it is a southbound train, appears to be some loaded woodchip cars back in the train, most likely the Pemberton pusher power in the siding going back to Pemberton. Doug

Date: 12/09/14 18:42
Author: loleta

I shouldn't argue with a retired BCR engineer, but I'm going to say Mons, with the Pemberton pushers in the siding and the freight coming southbound.

LF

Date: 12/09/14 20:57
Author: M-420

loleta Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I shouldn't argue with a retired BCR engineer, but
> I'm going to say Mons, with the Pemberton pushers
> in the siding and the freight coming southbound.
>
> LF

Agree

Date: 12/09/14 21:09
Author: garr

I have no idea as to the specific location, but thanks for posting. Looks like at least one of the SD40-2's is a former O&W unit from the green coal train that ran in the southeastern USA for a few years back around 1980.

Jay

Date: 12/10/14 03:47

Yes, second look and it is north end of Mons siding, certainly is different there now. Doug

Date: 12/10/14 06:00

image from Wedge, it all looks the same sometimes. Doug

Date: 12/10/14 11:26
Author: BCR4619

A couple of notes:

-Southbound Train with loaded chips
-Pushers are NB as they only lead qualified unit is on the North End and in my years of following the push the crew would always be in the NB facing unit as they would simply cut off from the train and then take off back for Pemberton
-Looks as if there is a conductor way down there putting the train back together after the pushers were cut-out

In the early 90's was there a bridge over Fitzsimmons creek at the north end of Mons?... as I don't see one here if it was at Mons.

Edit:
Other than me pointing out some of the obvious things looking at the track profile...my things have changed in 20 or so years at that one spot....

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/10/14 11:34 by BCR4619.

Date: 12/10/14 12:26

I would have to research my timetables date by date, early tt (June 1984) shows Mons at 6490 feet, May 1990 shows Mons at 6900, yes there is a creek just north of the north switch Mons, and I'm really not too familiar with that sub, somewhere in my mind the creek changed course, either by flooding or by the hand of man, therefore would actually be further north than in the image before the siding was extended. Yes the pushers usually operated from the north unit, the unit on the southend (739) of this consist was not really setup for crews to ride in it except in emergency situation, spartan cab to the extreme. Yes I would agree it appears a crew member is back in the train, perhaps making the joint after cutting out the pushers, although it does not seem too far back and I thought quite often a crewman from the pushers did the cutin and cutout.
When I first saw the image posted by Pummer, I truly thought it was at Wedge. See attached image, taken about 15 car lengths over the north switch Mons. Bit of a mystery all round. I would say the rock cut formation in the background of Pummer's image and my image is the same rock cut, I have sent an email to another BC Rail guy, perhaps he can explain where or what happened to the creek. Doug

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/10/14 12:47 by hoggerdoug.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0419 seconds