Home Open Account Help 292 users online

Canadian Railroads > and seven years ago today

Date: 12/11/14 10:58
and seven years ago today
Author: hoggerdoug

Some more from a trip south out of Prince George to Williams Lake BC on the BC Rail 4618. We were dashing through the snow, or, perhaps 'Dash 8'ing thru the snow' on the 4618. This may be a 4 part posting, please bare with. Doug

01 "Miller Switch" at the south end of the yard.

02 Conductor cleaning the switch for our departure.

03 'all done, lets go!!' The sign with 0 is the start of the calibration one mile for the odometer on the speedometer and the CDU panel, set the counters at mile zero, off at mile 1, simple mathematical formula for over or under the measured mile, add or subtract from train length, add 2 percent and then enter in the odometer / counters for corrected train length. Yeah right!!

Date: 12/11/14 11:03
Re: and seven years ago today

it was a bleak snowy winter afternoon. Today where I live on the east coast it is a balmy, sunny plus 12 Celsius

04 passing the surge track about 1 mile to Carrier and the "begin main track"

04 going by Carrier Lumber

06 rolling blizzard

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/11/14 12:44 by hoggerdoug.

Date: 12/11/14 11:05

three more images

07 blurred vision

08 Mile 432 Prince George sub

09 lost in the snow

Date: 12/11/14 11:18

three video clips, they might be re-posts, still interesting to watch. One more clip to post after this reply, thanks for your patience.

clip 1 romping along near Strathavner, approaching Colebank

clip 2 North Switch Colebank

clip 3 South Switch Colebank

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 12/11/14 11:19
Author: doesyourdogbite

That's some real dashing through the snow!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/11/14 11:19 by doesyourdogbite.

Date: 12/11/14 11:24

One more clip to end this posting and I will continue on with my posts "on this day" hope you enjoyed, thanks for looking, take care...Doug

04 southbound through Dunkley, a large sawmill there. I have a better clip of travelling by here, save it for another time.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 12/12/14 04:47
Author: Benched_it

I love that, so cool!

Jay

Date: 12/12/14 05:36
Author: agrafton

Very interesting series, I did enjoy, Congratulations on VOTD

Date: 12/12/14 06:26
Author: jmbreitigan

Great to see those videos from the cab.
John

Date: 12/12/14 13:47
Author: spdaylight

Doug

Congrats on VOTD! I am surprised at how short the throw of the headlight is in a snowstorm like that . . . do you get 'snow blind' after an hour or so of that?

Craig

Date: 12/12/14 14:22
Author: TheApostleGreen

What makes the 'turn-signal' sound?

Date: 12/12/14 14:53

spdaylight Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Doug
>
> Congrats on VOTD! I am surprised at how short
> the throw of the headlight is in a snowstorm like
> that . . . do you get 'snow blind' after an hour
> or so of that?
>
> Craig

Thanks Craig. Yes the snow does reduce the headlight throw, although it may be exaggerated by the camera in the images and video clips. The snow does tire the eyes, the snow in my post was not really heavy, the worst is a heavy snow squall. In my experience the worst running is in thick fog at night, even to the point of shutting off the ditchlights, or if out in the middle of nowhere, dimming the headlight. Really have to know the landmarks, bumps in the track and keep a close watch for mile boards and whistle posts to figure out where we are. Years ago up north we had some ground fog about coupler high, it was weird running in a crystal clear night seeing everything except the rails. Other experience was ground fog cab height, could see the rails but nothing above our line of sight cab high. Glad you enjoyed the post. Doug

Date: 12/12/14 14:55

TheApostleGreen Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What makes the 'turn-signal' sound?

The clicking sound you hear is the mechanism on the bell ringer, probably plugged with snow. Doug

Date: 12/12/14 16:11
Author: rag

Brings back memories of winter running on the Scenic Subdivision and Stampede Sub here in Washington State. I just don't remember the horn getting stuck like that, though. Wish I would have recorded the white out snow conditions that would be encountered.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0523 seconds