Home Open Account Help 248 users online

Canadian Railroads > Budd Baggage Cars

Date: 01/20/15 00:11
Budd Baggage Cars
Author: alaska

On the passenger train forum it was noted that there is a lack of security in regards to Amtrak heritage Budd baggage cars.
The problem seems to be that the baggage cars doors will not shut all the way allowing snow to enter and some luggage to spill out.
In addition to not always being able to shut the doors; the cars are not guarded at station shops allowing anyone to steal any baggage through the open door.
Its been my experience with VIA that this railroad has always done an excellent job of mataining their equipment.
Does VIA have any of these problems with their baggage cars?

Than you

Hal

Date: 01/20/15 03:21
Re: Budd Baggage Cars
Author: andersonb109

I've never seen an open door on a VIA Baggage car while in route (as viewed from the dome). And haven't noticed any issues opening or closing doors at station stops. Not saying there aren't any problems. But in my one time a year trip I haven't seen any.

Date: 01/20/15 05:20
Author: DavidP

The Amtrak baggage door problem most widely reported on Trainorders has been with the center roll-up doors on baggage cars rebuilt from former coaches. The reason cited is bowing of the floor due to unanticipated excess weight of pallet shipments and the forklifts that load them, which in turn causes the door tracks to misalign and the door to become difficult to close. VIA's cars were all originally built as baggage or mail cars - also I don't think they ship anything which requires forklift loading.

Dave

Date: 01/20/15 10:32
Author: joemvcnj

Did Amtrak stop using forklifts when M&E ended ?

Date: 01/20/15 13:46
Author: WatchingAlways

Amtrak still uses fork lifts for palletized express, but they do not go into the cars. Pallet jacks are used inside the cars.

Date: 01/27/15 08:58
Author: velopro1

As a side question, from photos posted on TO, it looks like the baggage car on the Canadian (Vancouver to Toronto) might be available mid route from the coach car. Is this possible, and thus is it possible to access our checked luggage?
--Robert

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0364 seconds