Home Open Account Help 315 users online

Canadian Railroads > Okanagan valley residents petition against rails to tra

Date: 01/22/15 10:47
Okanagan valley residents petition against rails to tra
Author: eminence_grise

Lake Country is the name for the combined communities of Oyama and Winfield north of Kelowna on the recently closed CN route from Lumby Junction to Kelowna.

Municipal governments including Kelowna and Lake Country have offered to purchase the closed railway for conversion to a recreational trail between Kelowna and Vernon.

In order to purchase the rail line through Lake Country, municipal taxes would have to be increased $27 a year per taxpayer in that community.

A petition has been raised by some Lake Country residents against this tax increase. Should 932 signatures of verified Lake Country residents be collected, the purchase of the rail line would be required to go to public referendum.

Kelowna doesn't have the same issue because their portion of the route can be purchased without a tax increase, as it is a much larger community with a bigger tax base.

The images show the closed CN rail line near Lake Country looking south toward Kelowna.

The most scenic portions of this recreational trail will be through the Lake Country municipality, but it is also an area where the tracks run close to the shores of Kalamalka Lake, valuable resort territory.

The rights of citizen petition and also referendum regarding tax increases above the municipal budget are BC Laws which have been exercised many times over the years.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/15 13:10 by eminence_grise.

Date: 01/22/15 13:43
Re: Okanagan valley residents petition against rails to
Author: hoggerdoug

I don't blame them, I would not want to pay an extra property tax for somebody from out of the area to use the rail to trail. don't forget taxes increase every year "inflationary reasons", sometimes wonder for what and then there is the "liability issue". Doug

Date: 01/22/15 13:51
Author: wabash2800

Where is this? What province?

Date: 01/22/15 14:16
Author: rschonfelder

wabash2800 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Where is this? What province?

The Okanagan Valley is the interior of British Columbia.

Rick

Date: 01/23/15 07:20
Author: aehouse

hoggerdoug Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I don't blame them, I would not want to pay an
> extra property tax for somebody from out of the
> area to use the rail to trail. don't forget taxes
> increase every year "inflationary reasons",
> sometimes wonder for what and then there is the
> "liability issue". Doug

This is a penny-wise but pound foolish position. These trails generate large numbers of visitors and stimulate local businesses, many of which spring up in response to the trail visitors. I recall in the late 1980s and early 1990s how property owners along the abandoned MKT right-of-way between St. Louis and central Missouri fought the conversion of the line to a trail with tooth and nail, all the way to the US Supreme Court, where they lost. The trail was quickly built, and the throngs came. Almost overnight, B&B's, eateries, and bike rental places sprung up all along the train, significantly enhancing the local tax base, other local businesses, and visitation to the area. And liability? As far as I know, there has been nothing of any consequence.

The NIMBYs were also afraid that urban criminals would invade their rural hometowns by using the trail. Right--some gang banger from St. Louis is going to travel a hundred miles to rob houses in the country. Guess again.

Art House
Gettysburg, Pa.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0743 seconds