Home Open Account Help 378 users online

Canadian Railroads > Windermere Sub - Jan 24

Date: 01/24/15 17:05
Windermere Sub - Jan 24
Author: KickingHorse

The kid's playing in a tournament in Invermere this weekend. I've been looking forward to this for some time because I've never railfanned the Windermere much and not at all for quite some time.

The arena overlooks the south Windermere siding switch and just before their Friday night game I did see a meet between 2 coal trains. After their game this morning I took some of the boys to the Radium Hot Springs pool for a couple of hours. I'm thinking I might get something but the scanner stayed quiet. So I'm waiting at the Horsethief Creek Road crossing below the village of Radium and thinking I'm gonna have a 'dry' day, I decide to shoot the Canfor operation.

Here's a wood chip loadout and some centerbeam flatcars waiting to be loaded.

Date: 01/24/15 17:17
Re: Windermere Sub - Jan 24

As you can tell the weather is overcast so things are not what I was hoping for.

The couple of hours is up and still dead on the scanner. After picking the boys up and just getting back to the hotel, I finally get some action - the 6019 North gets a clearance to the south siding switch Canal Flats / clear main track.

Hmmmmmm ..... an SD40-2 sounds like the KC North wayfreight and clear main tack, with no southbounds in the area maybe their switching the Canal Flats spur.

Yup. Got to Canal Flats just as they're getting back to the siding ....

Date: 01/24/15 17:26

more KC

Date: 01/24/15 17:36

Also on my way to Canal Flats the 8755 North gets a clearance to Fairmont South / clear main track.

Alright things are looking up. Just after I'm done with the KC, the 8755 is restoring the south Canal Flats to normal. Just north of the Canal Flats siding is the Canal Flats overhead bridge on Hwy 93/95 and that's where I shoot the loaded coal train.

(got to go to another game / more to come later)

Date: 01/24/15 17:50
Author: tq-07fan

Four Multimark SD 40-2s, two still with the class and marker light sets above the numberboards. Ohhh yeah...

Jim

Date: 01/24/15 21:31
Author: Train611

That 4 unit lash-up would make a great looking package for the modeller guys.

Nice work...bringing the camera with you on the hockey trips.

Date: 01/24/15 22:39

Okay back to my day that's getting better.

The 8755's clearance was to clear main track at Fairmont South ...... must be southbounds coming.

As I'm heading back north the 9366 South gets a clearance to proceed from Fairmont South upon the arrival of 8755. Not long after I get there the 9366 pulls up to a stop. The conductor reverses the switch for the 8755 a few minutes later the 8755 takes the diverging switch

Date: 01/24/15 22:45

After the tail end goes by the conductor normals the switch and the engineer climbs back aboard to continue southbound.

Date: 01/24/15 22:55

One nice thing about OCS track is that when 2 trains are going in the same direction and are close to each other, the leading train is constantly giving track releases to the following train. Because of that I knew that the 5741 should be hot on the heels of the 9366. They had also received clearance to proceed from Fairmont South protecting against the 9366.

So what was looking to be a dud day turned out pretty good

Date: 01/25/15 03:45
Author: RogersPass

Great photos and Boy were you lucky, getting a Barn too.
I am looking at a trip and would be happy to see just one
with out going out east to far.
They must be rare out there now.. I thought they were all
over the east now..Q, Where was it going to?? any idea??

Cheers Brian in New Zealand..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/15 03:46 by RogersPass.

Date: 01/25/15 16:47
Author: goneon66

nice pics. great to see that 9011. hope you did well in the tournament.....

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0557 seconds