Home Open Account Help 271 users online

Canadian Railroads > MLW Monday Roberval Saguenay

Date: 02/23/15 06:13
MLW Monday Roberval Saguenay
Author: kgmontreal

Roberval & Saguenay had a small, but beautifully maintained, fleet of MLW roadswitchers that included RS-2, RS-3, RS-18 and M-420TR units. Their two RS-18s were quite different. #24 was a classic high short nose type while #25 was a late model low nose style. Both are shown here at Port Alfred during August 1990. The 24 is arriving with empties for bauxite loading. The 25 is waiting to depart with loads.

KG

Date: 02/23/15 06:18
Re: MLW Monday Roberval Saguenay
Author: DrLoco

Great stuff! First time also I've seen the airhorns set up on the side of the long hood like that.
So that M420TR unit-was it set up like the NdeM units in that it was "short hood" or in this case, more correctly "cab" forward? And, anyone make a model of that? It's just unique enough to be worth the trouble of modeling!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/15 06:19 by DrLoco.

Date: 02/23/15 07:06

The R&S M-420TR and FCP M-420TR units were quite different. The former were intended for tranfer service, were delivered with the MLW ZWT-2 trucks, and set up to run hood forward. The FCP units were used in passenger service, were delivered on AAR-B trucks and ran cab forward. In addition, the Mexican units were longer and had a different radiator arrangement.

The R&S units were eventually rebuilt with AAR-B trucks. This was a major undertaking as the ZWT-2 trucks did not use a conventional centre plate but rather a yoke that extended down almost to rail height and had Metalastic pads attaching the truck to it.

An HO model of the R&S units does not exist. I have plans if anyone wants them. They might make an interesting 3-D printing project.

KG

Date: 02/23/15 08:05
Author: CPR_4000

If I'm not mistaken, the C420 was ex-Long Island Rail Road? That's quite a consist in the last photo!

Date: 02/23/15 11:45

The C-420 was definitely ex-Long Island.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 02/23/15 12:01
Author: M-420

I always wish that I had made it up there on one of my 80's eastern Canada trips....

Brian E

Date: 02/23/15 13:15

It was fun to railfan until all the Alcos and MLWs disappeared. GP38s just aren't as interesting. Admittedly there a still a few Super-7s. But it's not the same.

KG

Date: 02/23/15 14:30
Author: DrLoco

I dunno, I think a small fleet of well maintained Geeps, while not as exciting or exotic as it was, is still more interesting than the "Oh look another GEVO" on the mainlines today...
I'd be interested in the plans--Lemme know how much you want for a copy!

Date: 02/25/15 12:56
Author: march_hare

Plus there's a hell of a grade on that line climbing up out of the river. Even Geeps sound good there.

Pretty drive to get there, too.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0403 seconds