Home Open Account Help 274 users online

Canadian Railroads > Question on engine placement

Date: 02/26/15 16:02
Question on engine placement
Author: Ruger338

I have spent a couple weeks in Marathon, Ontario with the CP mainline outside my window. I have noticed many freights with a locomotive mid-train instead of two on the head or one on the end. You don't see that as often in the west where I live (Utah/Nevada) I was wondering why?

Date: 02/26/15 16:35
Re: Question on engine placement
Author: cnrtrain

Most likely these trains are running a dp remote for an air supply mid train to deal with winter temps. As to the placement certain marshalling rules may be in affect for that type of train and the territory.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 02/26/15 17:01
Author: dizzy85

Also could be for tonnage.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/15 17:01 by dizzy85.

Date: 02/26/15 17:13
Author: hoggerdoug

My opinion, DPU is more effective or efficient cut in mid-train rather than on the tail end. My experience and preference was cut in mid train, that way I was operating two short trains rather than a long accordion, slack bunched in the middle, it was easier to balance power, dynamic brake and air brake with the DPU mid train. Also with an air supply on the tailend of the train could hide an air leak in the middle, with the DP unit in mid train somewhere you could see the discrepancy in the air and in some circumstances perhaps cut out the feed valve to balance the brake pipe. On BC Rail the location of the DPU was considered in the train consist, "short vs long car", empty vs load, and generally on train length / car count, a single DPU as two thirds back by car count in other words 2 units on the headend and the single DPU as two thirds back by car count. Hope this explanation helps. Doug

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/15 17:15 by hoggerdoug.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0246 seconds