Home Open Account Help 354 users online

Canadian Railroads > a day of remembrance

Date: 02/28/15 04:12
a day of remembrance
Author: hoggerdoug

Feb 28, 1980 I was the head-end brakeman on the "OV" freight departing Prince George BC in the evening to Williams Lake. It was the last time working as a Trainman, the following Monday I was to be in North Vancouver to start Locomotive Engineer training.

Little did I know at the time that it was to be the "last trip" for the 711 and a Trainman on the Squamish sub. The 711 & 808 shortly after departing Lillooet February 29, 1980, struck a rock at mile 154.4 BC Rail Squamish sub, the two locomotives and several cars plunged into Seton Lake. The Locomotive Engineer managed to escape the cab and barely made it to the surface, he was rescued by a track patrolman. Sadly the head-end brakeman was never located nor recovered, he too was to be in the training class along with me and 8 others. Sadly it literally was his last trip. Doug

couple of images of the 711, May 1979

video clip taken northbound on the Rocky Mountaineer, show some of the rugged and treacherous terrain on the Squamish sub.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 02/28/15 04:17
Re: a day of remembrance

Couple more images near the location. I never did take images at the exact spot where the accident happened. I guess out of respect or superstition, no images.
the three power poles ought to familiar with many viewers on this site, anyhow this is how they look trackside rather than the usual photo across the lake. Thanks for looking, Doug

Date: 02/28/15 05:34
Author: eminence_grise

I took many photos from the beach across the river, and always thought of the tragedy that happened on that corner.

Weren't there other fatalities along Seton and Anderson Lake over the years?

Date: 02/28/15 06:04

Yes, there have been numerous lives lost long ago. Evidently there is one or two steam locomotives and perhaps a diesel as well "in the lake", it is a subject that I have not investigated. Doug

Date: 02/28/15 07:18
Author: IC_2024

Thanks, hoggerdoug, for sharing this painful story about that ill-fated crew and how the brakeman perished, but the engineer miraculously made it out of the sinking unit.
I went by that spot in February 1988 as a guest on the head-end of the RDC's headed to Prince George. The engineer solemnly pointed out the location which was marked by floating barrels and I took a photo. I fully understand how you wouldn't want to do that knowing the actual men involved, but I felt that I was documenting a grim reminder of the real dangers faced by mountain railroaders. At the time, I don't think that I was told that the brakeman's body was never recovered come to think of it. Again, mountain railroad work involves skill, some luck and a lot of faith around the blind curves, too- not for the faint of heart.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/15 07:20 by IC_2024.

Date: 02/28/15 07:27
Author: tomstp

That area really looks subject to rock slides. Do they Hi-rail it before every train?

Date: 02/28/15 08:10
Author: BCR4619

It sure is a bad part of the line... never good when something like that happens

Speaking of last trips its not looking good for that part of the line now, its been closed for a week plus as they have been trying to blast rock around the 150 mile after a slide came down earlier in February taking out the ledge and putting the tracks into the water... scary part is the "bud-lite's" were the ones to come around the corner to this!

As for patrols, those have been cut back in recently too for some reason... I will try and get the locations they patrol now.

Date: 02/28/15 08:10

tomstp Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That area really looks subject to rock slides. Do
> they Hi-rail it before every train?

Generally most trains have a track patrol ahead of it. Occasionally a train may operate without a patrol, the train crew extra vigilant for any hazards. At least in the days of manned cabooses,they could radio for help if not able to contact the engine crew. Now with only a crew on the engine it may be awhile before anyone is alerted to an accident or incident if the crew is unable to radio for help. The patrolmen are very savvy about maintaining a modest and safe distance ahead of the train. We must give the patrolmen respect in the fact that they don't have the bright headlights of a locomotive nor the higher range of vision as compared to a locomotive cab. They really have to be observant to stop short of rocks and other hazards. Years and years they patrolled riding a "speeder", the new hi-rail trucks are a real comfort and luxury now.

When the 711 derailed the track patrol was only a few minutes ahead and in the short time span the rocks came down. I heard that the patrol was stopped, looking back to watch the train come along, observed the headlights disappear and then the caboose crew calling the headend with no response. The patrolman knew the train was in emergency, not moving, and he took the initiative to backup to the scene and was able to assist the Engineer to shore. Doug

Date: 02/28/15 13:55
Author: tomstp

what speed do they run through there?

Date: 02/28/15 15:02
Author: rschonfelder

Interesting post Doug.

I recall railfanning at Lillooet on the Canada Day weekend of 1980 - four months after the derailment. The interesting discussion that I had with some of the local railroaders was that they were surprised that the Brakeman's body did not wash up at the Dam outlet which was not far away from the point of the derailment. While Seton Lake is very deep there is likelihood of him getting caught up on something. The fellows also were Fishermen and said there are large Sturgeon in the lake which may have been the reason why they never found his body.

Do you think there is any truth to these statements or did you ever hear of similar discussion?

Rick

Date: 03/01/15 08:12

tomstp Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> what speed do they run through there?

There was a lot of 15mph speed restrictions as well as "do not exceed 10 mph until track seen to be clear", also most of that area was 20 mph, other portions on the subdivision freight speed was 25 & 30 mph.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0624 seconds