Home Open Account Help 284 users online

Canadian Railroads > Squilax East CP Shuswap Sub

Date: 03/20/15 00:57
Squilax East CP Shuswap Sub
Author: greshe3

This was taken November 30th 2014 between Elson and Squilax B.C. Its a good hike in but worth the view .Thanks for looking.  Greg

Date: 03/20/15 06:23
Re: Squilax East CP Shuswap Sub
Author: Train611

That is a great photo!

Date: 03/20/15 10:39
Author: eminence_grise

In the late 1950's, a westbound grain train behind GP9's struck a boulder from the cliff illustrated and derailed over the bank. The head end of the train headed some distance toward the lake, remaining upright.  Incredibly, there were no injuries to the crew, and only slight damage to the almost new GP9's. I have only seen one press photo of the derailment, but have had the event described to me by crew members involved.

The access road from the highway up to the derailed locomotives and cars is still visible. This was one of the last times a steam powered "Lidgerwood" winch car and an elaborate block and tackle arrangement was used to haul the locomotives and cars back up to the tracks and within reach of the auxiliary crane.

The Lidgerwood car remained on steam at Revelstoke until the roundhouse was demolished in 1980.

Date: 03/21/15 00:06
Author: greshe3

Thanks eminence_grise I  dont think i would want to go down that bank ,its straight down . I did a web search and found just a picture of a burning tank car resting in the middle of the trans canada highway . I will have to look up there next time passed . Greg

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0412 seconds