Home Open Account Help 338 users online

Canadian Railroads > Three cowls on one train

Date: 03/25/15 13:37
Three cowls on one train
Author: kgmontreal

CN U730 oil loads from western Canada to Saint John, NB rolled through Montreal today pulled by three cowl units.  Surprisingly, all three units were facing forward.

KG

Date: 03/25/15 13:51
Re: Three cowls on one train
Author: CPR_4000

No buffer car?

Date: 03/25/15 14:11
Author: sooman1

Not needed for deliveries in Canada..

bob

Date: 03/25/15 15:47
Author: 3rdswitch

Nice catch.
JB

Date: 03/25/15 16:55
Author: Train611

Great photo!

Posted from iPhone

Date: 03/25/15 17:04
Author: Mberry

Great shot. For whatever reason, it ends up that this train will sit in Joffre Yard near Quebec City for a few days before heading to New Brunswick.

Michael

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/15 17:38 by Mberry.

Date: 03/25/15 17:54
Author: cn6218

Mberry Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Great shot. For whatever reason, it ends up that
> this train will sit in Joffre Yard near Quebec
> City for a few days before heading to New
> Brunswick.

They probably don't have any room for it in New Brunswick, either in Moncton, where it gets split up with blocks of cars going west each day to Saint John, or in Saint John itself.  The big yard in Saint John (Island Yard) has been plugged solid with oil cars this winter, and all the extra snow hasn't helped matters.  Pan Am held another train in Massachusetts a few weeks ago for the same reason.

GTD

Date: 03/25/15 20:14
Author: M-420

Nice shot, Ken.

I wonder if anyone ever caught a 3 cowl, 3 builder consist?
(BBD, GMDD, GE)

Brian E

Date: 03/26/15 10:22
Author: Mberry

m420 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nice shot, Ken.
>
> I wonder if anyone ever caught a 3 cowl, 3 builder
> consist?
> (BBD, GMDD, GE)
>
> Brian E

I've always wondered the same thing. Considering that there was about a 7-8 year period where all three types ran, I would think it would have had to happen at least once.

Michael

Date: 03/26/15 10:58
Author: kgmontreal

The chances of the three builder cowl lashup are smaller than one might think.  During the period when the HR-616's were in service the GMD cowls were assigned to weatern Canada.  The coast to coast use of motive power was uncommon.  Although the GE cowls were initially assigned to Montreal and extensively used on trains to the Maritimes, the SD50F and SD60F units were very rare east of Winnipeg.

The only exception to the rule was the use of the three 9900 series "demo" units around Montreal shortly after their delivery.  I do have shots of them going east from Montreal.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0952 seconds