Home Open Account Help 306 users online

Canadian Railroads > MLW Monday Smiths Falls

Date: 04/20/15 07:54
MLW Monday Smiths Falls
Author: kgmontreal

Shot in the spring of 1971 a pair of M-636 units led by 4700 departs westbound from Smiths Falls, Ontario.  The caboose of an eastbound for Montreal is at right while at left an S-2 switcher waits on the lead.  Of note are the kerosene switch lamps, kerosene marker lamps on the van and a partially open autorack on the eastbound.

KG

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/20/15 08:06 by kgmontreal.

Date: 04/20/15 08:07
Re: MLW Monday Smiths Falls
Author: train1275

Beauty !!

Smith Falls always brings back fond memories. I recall in the early 80's train and engine crews walking down the residential streets to work carrying their grips. Like something out of the 1940's or 50's.

Everyone on CPR was very friendly. Many good photo ops over at the roundhouse.

I recall some passenger train that came in and then went down to Brockville and laid over. Normally had Alco FPA-4's and sometimes an Alco road-switcher.

One time there was a "Laser Train" I think they called it. A westbound like in the photo posted here that was a container train. One of the car department guys said "He is going to be leaving as soon as they change crews".  I asked "When?" - Ding - ding- ding ... "NOW !!" - Had to drive like hell towards Perth to get a shot, Man, that guy was moving with some of the big 4700's powering the train. Seems like it might have been a Train 501 or some such.

Date: 04/20/15 08:14

The "Laser" trains were the CN piggyback trains of the time.  You're correct in thinking that the CP Rail hotshots were 500 series trains.  Chasing a westbound out of the Falls required some fast driving to beat it to Perth.

KG

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/20/15 08:16 by kgmontreal.

Date: 04/20/15 08:24
Author: train1275

Here is one of the early VIA trains at Smiths Falls. It was taken July 18, 1977. Memory gets hazy after all these years but I think he turned onto the line to Brockville. Great times hanging around there.

Yes, it was CN that ran those "Laser Trains" now you mention it.

Date: 04/20/15 13:35

You are indeed correct.  That's an Ottawa - Brockville VIA train at the original Smiths Falls station.

KG

Date: 04/20/15 18:33
Author: Mberry

While the motive power is more boring and van's are few and far between, the Smiths Falls stations is still a busy enough spot, as well as a crew change spot. These two shots from an afternoon in July 2014 show CP 608 leaving the station after a crew change with an AC4400CW at the head end and an ES44AC shoving.

Michael

Date: 04/21/15 02:11
Author: sooman1

If an eastbound train is over 7200' they cannot make the crew change at the Smiths Falls yard office (they would block a major road), so they change off at a location called Whites (end of Lorne Street in the east end of Smiths Falls).. westbounds generally change off at the yard office.. The crews are moved to the change off location by Halcon, town taxi or a CP manager in a company truck..

bob

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0541 seconds