Home Open Account Help 223 users online

Canadian Railroads > Along the East Side Canal Bank spur

Date: 04/20/15 15:14
Along the East Side Canal Bank spur
Author: Mberry

Two GP9's switching a mill on an elderly branch is less and less common on CN, but it can be seen in the heart of Montreal multiple times a week. The location is CN's East Side Canal Bank spur, which diverges from CN's Montreal sub in the St-Henri neighbourhood and ends at Robin Hood flour mill about 1 mile to the east, the only client still served by CN along the entire length of the Lachine Canal. The canal was once lined on both sides with CN and CP lines but not much of this trackage remains. The Pointe St-Charles switcher brings grain cars to the mill at least a few times a week and when I heard them heading there on the scanner this past Saturday I headed over to check it out. I got there in time for see them leaving the mill with empties and here is the sequence from leaving the mill to heading back to Pointe St-Charles yard.

1-CN 7246 & CN 7015 prepare to leave Robin Hood flour mill with empties.

2-Passing what was once a Stelco plant, now condo's, as the train approaches Charlevoix street.

3-The conductor is flagging as they cross Charlevoix street.

Michael Berry

Date: 04/20/15 15:15
Re: Along the East Side Canal Bank spur

4-The train has its signal to rejoin the Montreal sub as the gates go down on St-Ambroise street.

5-The train is in the same spot as photo #4, but we are looking east, with the canal at bottom right.

6-The train has left the spur and is on the double track Montreal Sub

Date: 04/20/15 15:16

7-With the conductor hanging onto the rearmost hopper, the train is now backing up so it can go to Pointe St-Charles Yard

8&9-The rear and front end of the train crosses the canal.

Date: 04/20/15 18:58
Author: krm152

Thanks very much.  Old GPs neveer die; they just keep running.
ALLEN

Date: 04/20/15 19:57
Author: Train611

Great photo story!

CN - Pte. St. Charles...worked there!

Date: 04/21/15 16:55
Author: cpcnguy

Trying to get my bearings right as i look at these photos. Where does the spur come out onto the Montreal sub Michael? I don't recall seeing it on my travels to and from montreal. Although I always seem to be working nights... Go figure :)

Date: 04/21/15 16:59

It comes off the Montreal sub just north of the Lachine canal and just south of St-Ambroise street, at about MP 3 of the sub.

Michael

Date: 04/22/15 14:15
Author: cpcnguy

Ok gotcha thanks Mike! Is this the same job that runs down the Port of Montreal lead from Pt St Charles yard? I take it not many jobs run down there, mostly just 148/149 in the wee hours of the morning, right? Seems like a great place to get some shots during the day.

Date: 04/23/15 06:55

cpcnguy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ok gotcha thanks Mike! Is this the same job that
> runs down the Port of Montreal lead from Pt St
> Charles yard? I take it not many jobs run down
> there, mostly just 148/149 in the wee hours of the
> morning, right? Seems like a great place to get
> some shots during the day.

That's correct, this job basically runs anywhere needed in the Montreal area, including going to the Port of Montreal. As far as I know only 148/149 and this switcher go to the Port of Montreal on a regular basis, though grain trains go there as well seasonally. I work close by and am able to see the switcher during my lunch hour here and there.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mtlwestrailfan/14660711410/in/set-72157630559342056
https://www.flickr.com/photos/mtlwestrailfan/13993959950/in/set-72157630559342056

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0394 seconds