Home Open Account Help 272 users online

Canadian Railroads > BC Back in 1986

Date: 04/24/15 19:52
BC Back in 1986
Author: NDHolmes

I was sorting through some old images tonight, and ran across some negatives I'd purchased from the estate of late Iowa railfan Charles Franzen when he passed away a number of years back.  He apparently made a trip back in May 1986 to the Steam Expo in Vancouver.  Thought I'd share a few old photos with you all, since otherwise they'll just sit in my files until probably the end of time.  Charlie didn't always label things all that well (tendency to get sleeves with 8 or so negatives simply labeled "Vancouver 86" or some such), so if anybody can fill in details I'm missing, please do.

Photo #1 - No idea where, but my guess is out on the CP somewhere east of Vancouver.  Engines are CP 2860, Great Western 51, CN 1392 , and CP 3716.
Photo #2 - CP 3716 heading back to town in West Vancouver on the BCR
Photo #3 - CP 2860 and two other steamers running light, looks to be somewhere east of Vancouver again.

Date: 04/24/15 20:00
Re: BC Back in 1986
Author: NDHolmes

Photo #4 - Freshly restored CP 4-4-0 #374 outside the Drake Street roundhouse.  It looks like it might actually be steamed up - is that even possible?  Did they actually do a full restoration, despite the engine being essentially a display piece?
Photo #5 - UP 4466 makes an appearance in front of thousands of spectators down along the docks.
Photo #6 - Apparently at least one day Charlie took the BCR up to Lillooet.  The new depot and platform are clearly very freshly installed - no ballast on the tracks and most of the ties aren't even spiked down yet. 

Date: 04/24/15 20:18
Author: atsf121

Fantastic photos, I love #1.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 04/24/15 21:43
Author: M-420

#2. 3716 was pinch-hitting for the 2860 at this time. the shot shows the 2-8-0 leading the Royal Hudson train southbound from Squamish. 

#6. Passenger train #2 getting ready to depart Lillooet. The then brand new depot is visible in the photo. Also at least one of the two strings of freight cars to the right would be a frieght train. The normal traffic pattern would have southbound train #14 and an extra north in town at about the same time that #2 was getting ready to depart Lillooet. The southbound would wait until the passenger had departed so as to avoid a meet down the line. 

Brian E 

Date: 04/25/15 03:08
Author: railsmith

#1 is at Barnet in Burnaby, on the CP Cascade Subdivision. The engines are westbound on their way to the steam parade in downtown Vancouver, about eight miles farther west.

#3 is at Fraser Mills in Coquitlam, on the CP Westminster Subdivision. This photo would have been taken before #1 as it is earlier in the journey. The locomotives have come east from the Steam Expo site using the BN New Westminster Sub. to reach the CP Westminster Sub. From here, they will continue east (RR north) for about five miles to a point where they will reach the Cascade Sub. and then turn west toward Vancouver.

Date: 04/25/15 06:58
Author: Train611

Update on some great photos...

1. 2860 is on display at the West Coast Railway Museum in Squamish BC.
    The WCRA will host a 75th Birthday party for the 2860 on June 27, 2015 at the Squamish facility.

2. 374 is all shined up and on public display in the Roundhouse Community Centre in Vancouver.
    WCRA volunteers do a great job in manning the facility and keeping the engine in great looking static display condition.

Date: 04/25/15 12:46
Author: spdaylight

NDHolmes Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Photo #4 - Freshly restored CP 4-4-0 #374 outside
> the Drake Street roundhouse.  It looks like it
> might actually be steamed up - is that even
> possible?  Did they actually do a full
> restoration, despite the engine being essentially
> a display piece?
>
No, she wasn't restored to operating condition . . too far gone as she was on display in Kits Park for 40 years with no protection . .  I (and thousands of others) used to play on it and it was in very bad shape when pulled out of the park.  One lady was key to her preservation .  . .  Evelyn Atkinson with the Parks Board got her stored for years and then was cosmetically restored and is now in her own Pavilion in Yaletown as Russ mentioned in his photo added to this post.  That said we take her outside and steam her up once a year on the May long weekend (but we cheat and use propane).  The kids have a ball blowing the whistle.

Craig
mcmrailvideos.com

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0482 seconds