Home Open Account Help 314 users online

Canadian Railroads > MLW Monday CP S-11

Date: 04/27/15 08:39
MLW Monday CP S-11
Author: briancdn

As a follow up to KG's excellent photo of S-11 6623; I present sister 6622 at Montreal's Glen Yard in April 1976. I was lucky enough to be granted a quick cab ride by a friendly engineer. An excellent view from the cab in the MLW S-11 through RS-23 series shows the result of the higher frame design.

Brian

Date: 04/27/15 09:06
Re: MLW Monday CP S-11
Author: CPR_4000

What's the round bulge on the hood to the left of the "C"? Bell?

Date: 04/27/15 10:48
Author: hoggerdoug

CPR_4000 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What's the round bulge on the hood to the left of
> the "C"? Bell?

Not being familiar mechanically wise with that model, I would suggest that the bulge appears to a have a latch and hinge, perhaps for a convenient water fill nozzle or sight glass. Worst case scenario the water expansion tank or oil filter was larger than anticipated and needed the bulge to fit within the body..  Wonder if the original poster can do a "zoom" of the bulge from the first image and the one taken from cab view.?? Might see it better.  Doug

Date: 04/27/15 13:47
Author: kgmontreal

I've always wondered about that bulging, circular cover on the fireman's side of the S-11 hood.  I wish I had an answer.  But I don't.  All I can say is that it not present on the S-12, S-13, RS-23 nor RSC-24 models.

It remains a mystery.

KG

Date: 04/27/15 16:45
Author: eminence_grise

It is a cover for the key hole. MLW offered the S-13 in clockwork as well as diesel powered.  Something they learned from Hornby .

Date: 04/27/15 16:51
Author: kgmontreal

eminence_grise Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It is a cover for the key hole. MLW offered the
> S-13 in clockwork as well as diesel powered. 
> Something they learned from Hornby .

Is that why those units are so large?  MLW made them in OO scale while Alco made theirs in proper HO.

KG

Date: 04/27/15 18:49
Author: briancdn

Looking at the shots there appear to be water stains where a filler pipe may have been recently accessed. Pure seculation on my part, however. The clockwork theory is as good as any.

A closer look doesn't reveal any more detail of the hinged cover as Doug suggested.

Brian

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.045 seconds