Home Open Account Help 330 users online

Canadian Railroads > The Canadian is Late Again

Date: 04/28/15 14:47
The Canadian is Late Again
Author: DrawingroomA

Of course this isn't news, but I know there is interest from some members as to  the current operation of the train. Today #2 is expected in Toronto 10 hours late. Last Saturday's train was almost on time, a mere 3 3/4 hours late.

The departure of today's #1 has been set back to 2:00 a.m. Wednesday. The consists of the Canadian are getting longer (not unusual for late April) and there is no longer a complete spare set in Toronto although there is some equipment. Also, the Winnipeg-based on-board crew require some rest. Here is a paste from VIA:

Travel advisory! Due to operational issues, the operation of VIA's train 1 scheduled to depart on April 28th, 2015 from Toronto to Vancouver has been affected. Please note that train 1 will now leave Union station at 2:00 a.m. on Wednesday April, 29th, 2015. Via is asking passengers boarding in Toronto to arrive before 00:30 a.m. by using the Front Street entrance.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/28/15 15:04 by DrawingroomA.

Date: 04/28/15 20:32
Re: The Canadian is Late Again
Author: telegraphboy

Sad ain't it.!!

Date: 04/28/15 23:54
Maybe late is better
Author: jbwest

After my more or less on-time westbound ride on No. 1 a couple of weeks ago, being late might actually improve the customer experience.  At any kind of speed, the switches on the east end are so rough that sound sleep is almost impossible.  Spending a few hours in some remote siding might be more pleasant.  By the time we arrived Winnipeg (early) I was totally exhausted.  It is interesting how rough that track is compared to the smooth ride west of Jasper.  I can only guess that frost heaves have a lot to do with it.

JBWX 

Date: 04/29/15 01:55
Re: Maybe late is better
Author: rschonfelder

They should just let the passengers check in at 18.00 and then go to sleep.  Hopefully it will leave before the morning GO trains start waking up.

Rick

Date: 04/29/15 02:24
Author: ghCBNS

rschonfelder Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> They should just let the passengers check in at
> 18.00 and then go to sleep.  Hopefully it will
> leave before the morning GO trains start waking
> up.

Since the Canadian was late arriving in Toronto, the equipment would be at the TMC for servicing and probably wouldn’t be back in Union until an hour or so before departure. Say 1am...so no train in the station to board and no crew to receive passengers as they are on their required rest period before taking the train out again.

Station services could probably check passengers in at the Business Class Lounge at 1800 but they’d be sitting there for hours waiting until the equipment was in the station.

Not a pleasant way to start your trip but now you've got 3 1/2 days to relax and enjoy.

Date: 04/29/15 07:24

It is a sad situation.  I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I don't care how late the train is as long as I am comfortable. Mind you, I would rather not be detraining in the middle of the night. Because of the uncertainty of arrivals, a trip on the Canadian has to be the centrepiece of one's holiday. I never make same-day plans. You just can't count on this lovely train.

My wife and I are taking a cruise from Vancouver in May.  The ship departs on a Saturday and one of the three-times-a-week arrivals of #1 is a Saturday.  There is no way we could risk that. The previous train arrives on a Wed.  So we would have to leave home a week before the cruise.  Relunctantly we will fly - but even so we will give ourselves some extra time - but not a week.  Over 40 years ago we took The Canadian to Vancouver for a cruise and we planned (and made) a same-day connection.  Both the train and ship were owned by the CPR, so we felt comfortable. We knew if there was a huge delay, Canadian Pacific would fly us to Vancouver or, if not possible, fly us to the next port of call - on a CP plane, of course!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/29/15 07:25 by DrawingroomA.

Date: 04/29/15 09:38
Author: longhaul

Wow, what time does that put it to arrive in Vancouver? (assuming of course there aren't more delays down the line)

Date: 04/29/15 09:45
Author: ghCBNS

longhaul Wrote:
> Wow, what time does that put it to arrive in
> Vancouver? (assuming of course there aren't more
> delays down the line)

It could easily arrive right on time at Vancouver there is so much padding.. On a trip last year:
-We were 3 hours late at Edmonton and Jasper
-And were a half-hour early into Vancouver.and would have been a hour early except for a delay passing through Port Mann Yard

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/29/15 09:49 by ghCBNS.

Date: 04/29/15 12:18
Author: stuporchief

We arrived in Toronto aboard #2 last night at 11:03 pm. #1 left Toronto this morning at 4:15am. A sad end for the 60th anniversary trip.

The great equipment and wonderful crew made for another enjoyable trip.

The Prestige Park Car in particular is a triumph. VIA made a great, classic car much better.

Though this trip was unusually late, the train's chronic delays have to be cause for concern.

Ride it as often as you can. I don't see how The Canadian can survive for long if these delays continue.

Posted from iPhone

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/29/15 14:43 by stuporchief.

Date: 04/29/15 14:19
Author: 2839Canadian

WHY are these trains late on so many trips?

Date: 04/29/15 21:13

seaboardc30-7 Wrote:
> WHY are these trains late on so many trips?

Two words: Canadian National.  I wasn't on the trip reported above, but my most recent trip was even later than that arriving in Toronto.  The performance of the Canadian did not improve at all when CN forced VIA to add a fourth night to the run, making the schedule even slower than the steam-hauled Continental of the 1940s.  It is not unusual for the Canadian to sit in a siding for two hours waiting for a meet with several freights. If a fifth night was added to the run it wouldn't surprise me if the train was still a half-day late - or more.

Late train credits are generous, but I have to wonder how many of them are redeemed.  Passengers from out of Canada may not return within a year and if they do they may not take a train trip. The credit between four hours and 12 hours late is 50% of the coach fare and 100%  if 12 or more hours late.  If someone is travelling on  VIA Preference points, the credit is based on the points actually paid so that is a better deal for someone in sleeper.  I received all my points back for my last trip and it seems there is a good chance the same will occur on my next trip in a few weeks. The VIA agent who returned my points last year joked with me: "The way the train is running you might never again have to pay for a trip."

Date: 04/29/15 22:23
Author: jbwest

DrawingroomA Wrote:
> seaboardc30-7 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > WHY are these trains late on so many trips?
>
> Two words: Canadian National. 

Canadian National has a severe capacity problem across northern Ontario.  There is no free lunch and freight pays the bills.  The solution is not simply to blame CN, although CN does provide a convenient target.

JBWX

Date: 04/30/15 10:31
Author: stuporchief

It is true that CN has a capacity crunch. It is true that freight pays the bills. It is also true that a passenger train cannot be successfully operated if it is handled like a freight train. I think CN has a responsibility to at least try to expedite The Canadian, and it does not seem to be doing that.

Date: 04/30/15 10:55
Author: telegraphboy

On a trip last year Eastbound,  all was well until we got to Biggar.   And then it all fell apart.
I had a radio with me,  and could hear what was happening.  What really irks me is that several
times we just sat for 45 minutes.  At the speed the Cdn is capable ;of,  easily could have made
another siding.  Granted, I don't read the mind of that RTC.

Only once did we get a break,  sort of.   Siding ahead had stacker,  but it was a long siding.
She let us go to that siding all pull in behind the stacker.  Once the westbound came through,
we backed out,  and went.  Maybe she was feeling bad after sticking us pretty good.

Sid.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0652 seconds