Home Open Account Help 241 users online

Canadian Railroads > images I need help with

Date: 05/28/15 11:48
images I need help with
Author: hoggerdoug

Sifting through some slides, not sure where I got them, let alone what this steam excursion was. The slides are dated May 1974, some of the scenes are familiar to me, perhaps somebody here can correct my locations and explain where and when this excursion operated.   thanks.    Doug

01  any idea where this might be
02  bridge looks familiar to me on the CP line, west of Bayview Junction??
03  same location, Hamilton skyline in the background

Date: 05/28/15 11:50
Re: images I need help with

three more images I know the location, just wondering the date and route this excursion took.
all three images at the TH&B Aberdeen yard in Hamilton

Date: 05/28/15 11:52

and the last image, east bound on the TH&B near Ferguson Ave, with a diesel helper!!! Wondering where they were going, any help appreciated.  thanks,  Doug.

Date: 05/28/15 12:07
Author: moonliter

The first photo looks like it was taken taken at the former station site of South Waterdown.

Gerry Gaugl
Ottawa ON

Date: 05/28/15 12:36
Author: Thumper

hoggerdoug Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sifting through some slides, not sure where I got
> them, let alone what this steam excursion was. The
> slides are dated May 1974, some of the scenes are
> familiar to me, perhaps somebody here can correct
> my locations and explain where and when this
> excursion operated.   thanks.    Doug
>
> 01  any idea where this might be
> 02  bridge looks familiar to me on the CP line,
> west of Bayview Junction??
> 03  same location, Hamilton skyline in the
> background

First location is Waterdown South station site; the area is completely overgrown now. Just ot the south of the site is the overbridge for provincial highway 5, now called Dundas Street.

The next image is Old York Road east of Hwy #6, the wooden bridge was replaced by a modern concrete structure some years ago, area is now heavily overgrown.

Same location further along

Bryce Lee
Burlington Ontario

Date: 05/28/15 12:40
Author: Thumper

hoggerdoug Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> three more images I know the location, just
> wondering the date and route this excursion took.
> all three images at the TH&B Aberdeen yard in
> Hamilton
>  
All three at Aberdeen Yard (which has completely changed) taken from the north side of the yard.
Standing where the photographer was to his left and across Aberdeen Avenue was Canadian Westinghouse . Now gone replaced by McMaster UNniversity Innovation Park) to the right would have been the yard, now filled with various railway equipment involved in delivering coiled steel (manufactured in SaultSte Marie Ontario forthe most part) and bulk commonities for unloading.

Date: 05/28/15 13:04

Thank you all for the replies, it has filled in a few blank spots. I would still like to know if possible the exact date(s) of this excursion. The one image that has me puzzled is the last image. Where the heck was the train going east on the TH&B with a diesel helper??? down to Welland?? Must have been quite a round about excursion on various railroad trackage.  Doug

Date: 05/28/15 14:47
Author: rschonfelder

I wonder if that first loco was used in the filming of the National Dream?  Was the double header a special before the loco went west?

Rick

Date: 05/29/15 05:16

Another contact has mentioned the the 136 went west, on a flat car, May 1973, possibly for filming "The National Dream".   May of 1974 136 & 1057 did an excursion west on the TH&B Waterford sub, pushed to Summit by TH&B 55. Perhaps ORA sponsored excursions. Maybe the images I posted are from two different trips, the foliage seems like springtime early leaves. I'm curious about the TH&B 53 appears to be pulling the train eastward on the Welland sub not too  far (east) from Hunter Street station.  Doug

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0542 seconds