Home Open Account Help 357 users online

Canadian Railroads > Those Alstom SD40-3s

Date: 07/01/15 13:29
Those Alstom SD40-3s
Author: NormSchultze

I wonder how long they've been gone from Canada.  Today, at Harwood Texas, on the Texas, Gonzales & Northern, three of them shoved 100 brand new tankers onto the tracks for storage.  The locos look a bit worse for wear, but obviously their intial painting was done with care, they looked decent.

Date: 07/01/15 14:02
Re: Those Alstom SD40-3s
Author: kgmontreal

There still are some Alstom rebuilt SD40 units leased to the Central Maine & Quebec.

KG

Date: 07/01/15 20:24
Author: tsokolan

CN still has a handful of them on the roster, one has been repainted while the rest remain in grey ex. KCS paint....

-Trevor

Date: 07/02/15 16:26
Author: CCMF

Don't confuse the Alstom units with the KCS's ..... two different lots.  Some of the KCS's became GTW 5938-5956 and a handful survive including a repainted one, but NONE of the Alstoms have worked on CN in years.

Bill Miller
Galt, ON

Date: 07/02/15 17:54
Author: cn6218

There are at least two different kinds of "Alstom" rebuilds: Ones that were remanufactured at the former PSC shops in Montreal for various leasing companies, and the batch that were actually lettered "Alsthom" (the silent H was later dropped from the name).  The earlier batch consisted of 50 former CN SD40s that all had the grey paint and Alsthom lettering, GCFX reporting marks, and were leased to CN by some outfit called "Connell Leasing". 

Two were in the consist of CBNS train 305 last October 31st in Truro, NS:  QGRY 3327 in G&W paint (I think I posted a picture here at the time), and QGRY 6913 in its original grey Alsthom paint.  I believe both these diesels are still working on the CBNS as of this date.  Frank J. posted some pictures of another QGRY still in grey paint recently.

GTD 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0349 seconds