Home Open Account Help 315 users online

Canadian Railroads > Pole Lines on CP's Shuswap sub.

Date: 07/21/15 18:11
Pole Lines on CP's Shuswap sub.
Author: britchie

Contract crews have been taking out what was left of the pole lines through Chase, BC. After talking to the crew they said that small sections are being taken out across the system. they were heading to Alberta next and then some areas in Manitoba. Some sections were 6 miles long. The crew did offer me all the insulators I could pack home.
I guess for those keeping track this would be classed as the end of an era. Cleans up the sight lines from my front deck anyways.
Bob

Bob Ritchie
Chase, BC

Date: 07/22/15 08:48
Re: Pole Lines on CP's Shuswap sub.
Author: KickingHorse

The stretch of pole line between the 2 Railway Ave road crossings (less than a mile) in downtown Canmore were removed about a month ago. I didn't notice who (internal or outside forces) did the job but hooray for it. There's quite a bit more around here I hope they get too as well, not just for the sightlines aspect but some of the poles are now falling over on their own. The stretch from Canmore through Gap has poles on the south side adjacent to the Bow Flats Natural Area. It is riddled with small streams and is great fish habitat. The old poles are treated with creosote of course and I suspect an old pole just floating in a stream doesn't do the fish any good.

Date: 07/22/15 10:45
Author: KickingHorse

A couple of examples along Gap.

I have to wonder though what they will do with poles like the one in the last pic. This is an active osprey nest every spring. I'm quite certain that if they cut this one down, the birders will squeal big time.

Date: 07/22/15 11:49
Author: eminence_grise

There were several active osprey nests along Shuswap Lake between Sicamous and Salmon Arm BC.

The poles were left along with the cross arms. In one case where the railway pole was rotten, a local conservation group paid for a new pole with a platform.

The same birds return each season, with one family producing three chicks every year at a nest west of Annis BC

BC Hydro is also careful to preserve osprey nests. At some locations, they have put up poles beside the active power lines so the birds are not electrocuted.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0356 seconds