Home Open Account Help 367 users online

Canadian Railroads > Performance of #2 into Toronto this summer

Date: 08/28/15 08:29
Performance of #2 into Toronto this summer
Author: WP17

I realize that late arrivals of the eastbound Canadian into Toronto is not necessarily news anymore, but I'm wondering if one of the observers in the Toronto area can report report back to us how #2 has been performing this summer.

Thanks

Neil

Date: 08/28/15 09:26
Re: Performance of #2 into Toronto this summer
Author: stuporchief

Thanks for asking. I'm also interested in the replies. Maybe DrawingroomA can weigh in.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/28/15 10:06 by stuporchief.

Date: 08/28/15 10:22
Author: Mberry

From what I have seen from very recent Facebook and Yahoo reports, delays of 8, 9, even 12 hours are still very common.

Date: 08/28/15 10:37
Author: DrawingroomA

I haven't been making notes, but relying on memory: over the past three weeks arrivals have been between two and 11 hours late. Last Saturday the 22nd August,  #2 arrived at 20:30 and #1 departed on Sunday at 08:20. On Tuesday arrival of #2 was a little after 16:00 and departure of #1 only an hour late at 23:00. I was not downtown on Thursday and my usual "contact" isn't available.

Date: 08/28/15 12:33
Author: andersonb109

The seven hour turn from No. 2 to No. 1 is pretty impressive for a long Summer consist and 60 year old equipment. Amtrak take note.

Date: 08/30/15 06:40

andersonb109 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The seven hour turn from No. 2 to No. 1 is pretty
> impressive for a long Summer consist and 60 year
> old equipment. Amtrak take note.

Indeed it is impressive.  A 20+-car train needs a lot of servicing, not the least of which is restocking food and beverages for two dining cars, three Skyline cars and the Park car. The on-board crew is based in Winnipeg, so they get little rest time at their hotel.  I have been told that Saturday's #2 arrived approximately 5:30 p.m. and #1 departed at 01:00 Sunday.

Date: 08/30/15 16:03
Author: espee51

My wife and I rode #2 leaving Vancouver on June 21.  While we planned for a late arrival in Toronto after reading reports online, as well as Via's own disclaimers, we were only about two hours late on the 25th.  Beautiful ride, both the scenery and the train itself, so we wouldn't have minded at all being on board longer!

Date: 09/02/15 16:34

According to the arrivals screens at Toronto Union, train #2 of Tuesday 1st Sept. arrived at 10:36, just over an hour late. It doesn't get much better than this.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0533 seconds