Home Open Account Help 347 users online

Canadian Railroads > Rare mileage on an ex-transcontinental main line

Date: 08/31/15 07:04
Rare mileage on an ex-transcontinental main line
Author: Mberry

A VIA special train is crossing the famous Cap-Rouge Trestle near Quebec City on what was once part of the National Transcontinental Railway (now part of CN). This is no longer a through route and does not normally see any VIA Rail service. Multiple trains were run from Joffre yard to this trestle and back for CN Family Day yesterday. I included the first shot to show just big the trestle is compared to the short train. The third shot shows the train backing up.

Michael Berry

Date: 08/31/15 07:05
Re: Rare mileage on an ex-transcontinental main line

I was lucky enough to ride the train in the morning. Here is a shot of the trestle from the rear coach.

Date: 08/31/15 07:35
Author: The_Chief_Way

Excelleent. Thanks for posting, Michael.

Date: 08/31/15 08:07
Author: YankeeDog

Back in the 70s I rode the NTR from Montreal to Nakina on three different trains. .  Overnight Montreal to Cochrane, Concrane to Kap, Bus to Hearst and Pagwa from Hearst to Nakina.  Super to the coast .. Took about a week.

Date: 08/31/15 14:30
Author: gaspeamtrak

That is the St. Lawrence river in the backround? I used to sail for Shell Oil up and down the river and see this bridge I think??? Can anybody help me???

Date: 08/31/15 14:47

gaspeamtrak Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That is the St. Lawrence river in the backround? I
> used to sail for Shell Oil up and down the river
> and see this bridge I think??? Can anybody help
> me???

Yes it is.

Date: 08/31/15 19:08
Author: 4489

And in the distance one can just see the Pierre Laporte Bridge.  Travelled over Cap Rouge behind CN #6060 (4-8-2) in '76 or '77.  We even staged a runpast on the trestle!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0324 seconds