Home Open Account Help 389 users online

Canadian Railroads > MLW Monday Southwark 1973

Date: 11/23/15 04:31
MLW Monday Southwark 1973
Author: kgmontreal

For today's MLW Monday are two shots from Montreal's Southwark Yard in Nov 1973.  Southwark Yard was a steam-era flat switching yard just east of St-Lambert, Quebec. It survives to this day. 

At the east end of the yard at Cannon Jct CN trains for Chambly, St Albans VT, Rouses Point NY and Massena NY split off.  An RS-18 is shown in 1973 at the Cannon Jct sign board.

The second shot shows a westbound slowing to a stop at the yard.  The harsh shadows from the low November sun hide some detail of the C-424, GP9, RS-18, RS-18 lashup.

Ken Goslett

Date: 11/23/15 14:54
Re: MLW Monday Southwark 1973
Author: cn6218

Is the "Cannon" name now history?  The only sign I recall seeing on my last visit there a few years ago was "Southwark", which I assumed referred to the junction.

GTD​

Date: 11/23/15 18:47
Author: Mberry

cn6218 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Is the "Cannon" name now history?  The only sign
> I recall seeing on my last visit there a few years
> ago was "Southwark", which I assumed referred to
> the junction.
>
> GTD​

Cannon still exists as an operating name, you'll hear it on the scanner.

Michael

Date: 11/23/15 19:57
Author: CPR_4000

Beautiful photos. I like the CN C424 -- they didn't last nearly as long as CP's. Most sold to Mexique, non?

Date: 11/24/15 12:06
Author: kgmontreal

CPR_4000 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Beautiful photos. I like the CN C424 -- they
> didn't last nearly as long as CP's. Most sold to
> Mexique, non?

CP and CN were completely different in their approach to the C-424.  CP liked theirs and even equipped some with alternators, making them like a "C-424AC".  CN disliked theirs, stored them whenever possible and sold them off early.

KG

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0441 seconds