Home Open Account Help 272 users online

Canadian Railroads > CP photo location help

Date: 11/23/15 10:28
CP photo location help
Author: railwayman69

A pair of CP slides I recently aquired and I am trying to figure out the location of where they were taken, since there were none written on the slide mounts. The first slide was processed in January 1976, and the second slide in June 1981.
The first photo appears to be a grade crossing somewhere in BC of an extra section of a freight; and the second one of a coal train, maybe guessing it could be at Fort Steele, BC?
Gotta love these CP SD40-2's in their orignal paint scheme!

Date: 11/23/15 11:06
Re: CP photo location help
Author: eminence_grise

Coal train is an empty at the south end of Golden BC.

Date: 11/23/15 11:45
Author: rschonfelder

And with the same Crowsnest theme from Phil's response, my guess is that the SD40-2's are somewhere around the eastern slope of the Rockies.  I am looking at the trees in the background and note those look like the flora of the eastern slope.  Since I could not think of anything around Seebe with the highway behind, I am thinking this might be around Lundbreck on the Southern line in Alberta.  At first I thought this might be eastbound around Campbell Creek but Phil would have recognised this as he lives in Kamloops. Plus, the trees in the background do not look like that of the arid Kamloops area.

Rick

Date: 11/23/15 18:15
Author: tq-07fan

I'm going to go with something completely different for number one. That is double track, not a siding. There are enough telephone and codeline wires in the air to fill at least three crossarms so this is somewhere on the mainline. Although in the nineties the second track was removed the north and south tracks would have been in place for the route through northern Ontario from Winnipeg to Thunder Bay in 1976. The Trans Canadian Highway is still two lanes and parallels the CP Rail in many places along the Trans Can so I'll place my guess with somewhere in northern Ontario which would explain the lack of hydro poles in the background along the highway.

Perhaps the photographer was driving across Canada, saw the headlight and pulled across the sideroad for the picture?

Jim

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0306 seconds