Home Open Account Help 290 users online

Canadian Railroads > VIA "Black Friday Sale"

Date: 11/27/15 08:38
VIA "Black Friday Sale"
Author: DrawingroomA

I mention this for the benefit of those who complain that VIA's fares for the Canadian are too high.  On this sale a cabin between Toronto and Vancouver is $1110 for a cabin for 1 or per person for a cabin for 2.  Between Montreal and Halifax on the Ocean the fare is $216 per person in a Renaissance cabin (with or without shower).  The samples I have quoted are in Canadian dollars and subject to sales tax. Trips must be booked by 30th November for travel until the end of April.

Date: 11/27/15 10:51
Re: VIA "Black Friday Sale"
Author: stuporchief

Thanks. Does this work out to a discount of about 30%?

Date: 11/27/15 14:29
Author: andersonb109

This is only about 3% lower than what I paid in October for February travel. And I know that wasn't a 50% off sale. I'm not sure why there is so much complaining about high fares on the Canadian unless you go during peak season. If you figure the cost on a per night basis (4 nights) and the number of meals that are actually cooked on board, fares are generally competitive or less than Amtrak for a comparable amount of time. And actually less than Pullman's fares...again on a per night basis. Then if you pay in U.S. Dollars you can knock off another 25% or so.

Date: 11/28/15 09:00
Author: DrawingroomA

stuporchief Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks. Does this work out to a discount of about
> 30%?

It is almost 50% off the full fare and about 30% off the regular "discounted" fare.  As an example: on the Ocean, the Montreal - Halifax fare for two adults sharing a cabin for 2 with shower (not including sales tax) is $818 full fare, $638 for the regular discounted fare and $432 on this sale. As usual, single occupancy of the cabins is a mere 15% more than the per person double rate. The drawing room and suite in the Park car are never discounted, so there is no savings with this deal.  Similarly, Prestige class on the Canadian is still full fare.

Date: 11/30/15 08:10
Author: ghCBNS

Black Friday = Silver Saturday!

For roughly what I had planned on spending for a Cabin for 1....thanks to the Black Friday sale....I now have single occupancy of a Cabin for 2 on the Canadian.

Just so much more comfortable on a four night trip!

Date: 11/30/15 09:37
Author: stuporchief

I love sleeping with the window right beside me. If it was me I'd keep the good old roomette!

ghCBNS Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Black Friday = Silver Saturday!
>
> For roughly what I had planned on spending for a
> Cabin for 1....thanks to the Black Friday
> sale....I now have single occupancy of a Cabin for
> 2 on the Canadian.
>
> Just so much more comfortable on a four night
> trip!

Posted from iPhone

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0323 seconds