Home Open Account Help 302 users online

Canadian Railroads > F unit Friday - Squamish sub May 2005

Date: 01/29/16 15:33
F unit Friday - Squamish sub May 2005
Author: Helo-Mech

Here we see the northbound Fraser - Skeena tour excursion of the WCRA passing the "One Mile" notice board for the siding of McGuire on the Squamish subdivision which is by this time under CN's control. The signal behind the train is the north approach signal for the siding. I'm not sure if the red signal indicates that the siding is not lined for the main. Maybe HoggerDoug can help with an explanation of the siding signals on the BCR, which I think he's done before.  Thanks to Railsmith, we know the date is 16 May, 2005.

Mike N.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/16 15:35 by Helo-Mech.

Date: 01/29/16 16:00
Re: F unit Friday - Squamish sub May 2005
Author: hoggerdoug

Rule 426, "restricting signal" proceed at restricted speed, such as the block for the switch is occupied or the switch is not properly lined etc etc. I really can't explain that signal being red without knowing the circumstances in this image other than the train is still in the track circuit for that switch.  Was there a meet there or a following train, track patrol going the other way etc??  We called these switches "dual control" or the proper rule book term, special instruction, Locally Controlled Self Restoring Duel Control Switches. They were either manually / electrically lined by pushing a button at the switch or could be lined using the locomotive radio. These switches  NOT controlled by the RTC.  The signal in the image is slang "approach", upon approching it would display a yellow apsect and if the switch was lined normal would change to green, if lined into the siding it would remain yellow ( proceed, clear to stop at next signal) and we would be governed by the signal aspect at the switch. If yellow we were lined into the siding, if red we would have to stop and manually line and phsyically check the switch for proper route. Ouch, long time since I've had to think about this stuff and not sure of my explanation!!!!. Doug

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/16 16:13 by hoggerdoug.

Date: 01/30/16 15:58
Re: F unit Friday - Squamish sub May 2005
Author: sarailfan

Looks to me like the last car or two have yet to pass the signal, so if there's any sort of occupancy detection on the track from the approach signal to the switch, it shouldn't show anything but red until the tail end of the train clears it.

Darren Boes
Lethbridge, AB
Southern Alberta Railfan

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0369 seconds