Home Open Account Help 378 users online

Canadian Railroads > and on this day, speed bump test

Date: 02/01/16 09:47
and on this day, speed bump test
Author: hoggerdoug

February 1, 2006,  at Exeter BC the local mill crew strikes again. Not sure  while the loader was shoving the car, misjudged distance to the derail or perhaps the center beam flatcar was longer than the operator thought. Anyhow the derail performed its intended function. From what I saw of the car, it was very new and perhaps had not had a revenue load on it since being built. First trip and oops!!.
As usual our crew had no involvement in this episode, and as in another post Rule #3 applied, "it was like that when we got here". My crew humor called derails "speed bump".

Date: 02/01/16 09:49
Re: and on this day, speed bump test

more images of the derail as well one image of our "unit du'jour".  thanks for looking.   Doug

Date: 02/01/16 10:45
Author: 3rdswitch

Looks like the hand brake is applied. I once forgot to release it on one of these GE's (Santa Fe) entering from back door, backed up only five or six car lengths before noticiing, stopped, knocked it off then backed again and the flat spot was so bad the wheel had to be changed!
JB

Date: 02/01/16 10:59

Yes, as per special instructions hand brake must be applied when locomotive is unattended.  The hand brake only applies on one axle and is designed to hold the unit at rest, very unlikely to stop it if moving even at a snails pace.  The hand brake was also applied on the derailed flat car, not that it did much good. We found that some of these hand brakes were very ineffective in that the chain had perhaps one too many links to really grab on the linkage etc. Other cars the bell crank was not aligned and the chain would tighten but the brake was was really not applied.   Doug

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/16 11:05 by hoggerdoug.

Date: 02/01/16 18:26
Author: BCR4619

OOOoooo 3904, I have its tooter!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0443 seconds