Home Open Account Help 335 users online

Canadian Railroads > The Canadian winter consist

Date: 04/21/16 11:11
The Canadian winter consist
Author: skidroe

When does the "Canadian" goes back to the winter consist this Fall? How many cars does it run in the Winter?

Date: 04/21/16 12:18
Re: The Canadian winter consist
Author: viatrainrider

Believe usual would in order be bag, one coach, Skyline, maybe a Chateau sleeper, diner, three sleepers although sometimes four, Prestige sleeper, and Park Car.  On my trip in February, Train 2 departed Vancouver with no Prestige account it was bad ordered - no heat.  However, there were no Prestige passengers booked.   Perhaps DrawingroomA and  AndersonB109 would have something to add here.

Date: 04/21/16 18:44
Author: Jimbo

Believe that no Chateau cars are used in the off season except for the Prestige car.

Date: 04/21/16 19:05
Author: jbwest

I used to be a pretty regular off season rider but have not ridden since the Prestige service became a regular feature.  But pre-Prestige the "regular" winter consist was baggage, one or two coaches, Skyline, diner, three manor sleepers, and a Park car.  I put regular in parens because it was not uncommon to have deadhead equipment on the train, or some such irregularity.  In the picture below there is chateau car ahead of the baggage.  I'm guessing that the new "regular" would be the above consist plus a Prestige car.

JBWX 

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/16 19:08 by jbwest.

Date: 04/21/16 19:16
Author: jp1822

This consist has been common in offseason:

Head End Power
Baggage
Coach
Coach
Skyline (for Coach)
Sleepers (whole bunch deadheading)
Sleeper - revenue (occupied and in operation Jasper to Vancouver only)
Sleeper - revenue
Sleeper - revenue
Skyline
Diner
Sleeper - revenue
Sleeper - revenue
Sleeper - revenue
[Presitge - bad ordered]
Park Car

All sleeper were Manor. Sometimes an extra Manor or Chateau was in the consist IF a sleeper was bad ordered enroute. But the amount of cars deadheading in December and even through January was very high (back and forth between Toronto and Vancouver).

Typically there were no sleepers in between the Skylines in off-season, but when demand warrants..........VIA will add them!

Date: 04/21/16 21:52
Author: zartok-35

Today the Canadian left Saskatoon with 6 Manors, 2 Prestige Chateaus and Park, 2 Skylines, 1 Diner, 1 Coach, and 1 baggage.

Date: 04/22/16 05:46
Author: DrawingroomA

jp1822 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This consist has been common in offseason:
>
> Head End Power
> Baggage
> Coach
> Coach
> Skyline (for Coach)
> Sleepers (whole bunch deadheading)
> Sleeper - revenue (occupied and in operation
> Jasper to Vancouver only)
> Sleeper - revenue
> Sleeper - revenue
> Skyline
> Diner
> Sleeper - revenue
> Sleeper - revenue
> Sleeper - revenue
>
> Park Car
>
> All sleeper were Manor. Sometimes an extra Manor
> or Chateau was in the consist IF a sleeper was bad
> ordered enroute. But the amount of cars
> deadheading in December and even through January
> was very high (back and forth between Toronto and
> Vancouver).
>
> Typically there were no sleepers in between the
> Skylines in off-season, but when demand
> warrants..........VIA will add them!
>  

From my observations this winter the above consist was longer than average.  Most consists have been as reported in the posting by "viatrainrider" although I haven't seen an off-season regular (non-Prestige) Chateau sleeper in operation for a long time.

An almost complete consist of the Canadian has been kept in Toronto along with several extra sleepers, a Skyline and usually a diner and a "non-Prestige" Park car.  At the beginning of the winter season there was no spare Prestige sleeper or Park car. On arrival day of #2 the spare set was moved from the maintenance centre into the yard.  The Prestige sleeper and Park car would be removed from #2 and added to #1. Later in the winter a Prestige sleeper was included in the spare set so only the Park car had to be added to the new consist.

On Tuesday 19th April I observed #1 just before departure from Toronto.  I didn't get the detailed consist and I didn't clearly see the deadhead cars so I may not have them in the right order.  Two of the sleepers were also deadhead with line # "00".

2 F40s
(deadhead cars - Baggage, coach, Prestige Chateau sleeper, rear-facing Prestige Park car)
Baggage
Coach
Skyline
Manor sleeper (00)
Manor sleeper (00)
Manor sleeper (114)
Manor sleeper (113)
Skyline
Diner Palliser
Manor sleeper (110)
Manor sleeper (111)
Manor sleeper (112)
Prestige Chateau sleeper (130)
Kootenay Park  (139)

There is still a Prestige sleeper and a non-Prestige Park car in the yard as well as other equipment for the Canadian.

Date: 04/22/16 07:35

On my somewhat recent Train 1- 2 trip, I observed that the Chateau sleeper that was being deadheaded ahead of the baggage from Vancouver was taken off at Winnipeg.   I presume this was for use on the Churchill train as this train almost always uses one of more Chateau (non-Prestige) sleepers.

Date: 04/22/16 08:03
Author: cbk

I don't mean to high-jack this thread, but how does riding the Canadian in the winter compare to the summer trip? Are the lower fares worth it? The shorter daylight hours must be a deterrent.

Thanks,

Craig

Date: 04/22/16 08:31
Author: DrawingroomA

cbk Wrote:
> I don't mean to high-jack this thread, but how
> does riding the Canadian in the winter compare to
> the summer trip? Are the lower fares worth it? The
> shorter daylight hours must be a deterrent.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Craig
>  

Over the decades I have taken the Canadian in every month of the year, but unless I have a pressing need to go west by train between December and late March I will no longer do so.

On the plus side (other than cheaper fares) the train usually has a very light load.  I have been on two trips - in December and February - with only 15 sleeping car passengers. Meals were served in two sittings anyway in order to accommodate people's wishes for early or late dining. Even with more passengers, it is unlikely there will be any need for three sittings. The Park car dome and lounge are rarely full in winter except possibly in the Rockies.

On the negative: darkness for most of the day.  I had one Jan. trip on which I recall daylight only from 09:00 to 16:00.  The Renaissance equipment has spoiled me for winter trips.  (There is no snow and ice to contend with walking through a Ren. train due to the superior diaphragms.) Despite the considerable money spent on two major rebuilds/refurbishment of the Budd equipment since 1990, nothing has been done to the diaphragms.  It can be a treacherous trip to the diner or Park car. The train is more likely to run late in winter, although summer delays can still be significant. The shower drains are prone to freezing even when the temperatures are not bitterly cold.  I had one westbound trip in November and all but one shower was frozen by Winnipeg and the last one froze just after departure from Edmonton.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/22/16 08:33 by DrawingroomA.

Date: 04/22/16 12:17
Author: march_hare

cbk Wrote:
>
> Thanks,
>
> Craig
>  

I rode a roomette Vancouver to Toronto last month.  A $2800 US ticket when I searched last summer was in my hands for $800. Thank you, all you fracking guys, for collapsing the price of oil and altering the Canadian exchange rate!

I have a little over 100,000 Amtrak miles behind me, and a fair number of other trips worldwide. This trip on the Canadian was my best train ride ever, no question. 

My my only critique was that they served exclusively Canadian wines in the diner. They were awful. The food and the beer were excellent.  Wine stores can be found during the layovers in Jasper and Winnipeg. 

Bottom line, YES the wintertime trip is worth every penny. 

Date: 04/22/16 14:11

I always do mid winter trips inspired by the lower fares.  But also, I agree with TRAINS Fred Frailey who has stated that the train is more intimate, so to speak, with far fewer passengers and mostly Canadians going places during low season.    And as mentioned above, only two sittings for lunch/dinner, often in a not full diner.  And Park Car dome seats almost always available.   More quiet, less commotion, and fewer people all over the place. Friendship made, high seniority train staff some of whom I have come to know and who remember me by name.  A minus is the 500 miles of winter driving I have to do to get to my start point of Winnipeg. 
A mid May trip a few years ago just prior to high season starting found 22 - 24 cars mostly sold out.   And, of course, even though there were Skyline domes available, everyone wanted to head for the Park Car dome including me.  A plus, however was the fun watching the long train from the Park Car dome.
For my money and less of it, my trips on Trains 1 - 2 will continue to be low season trips.  Hey, traveling across northern Ontario on a full moon night with temps -30C viewing the scenery and maybe some northern lights from  my darkened roomette suites me fine.  However, I would think most on TO would agree that a trip on the Canadian is fine any time.  The best regularly scheduled passenger train in North America I say!

Date: 04/22/16 21:22

cbk Wrote:

My personal preference is for winter trips.  As others have written the train is smaller, less crowded, fares are lower, you have more opportunity to get to know fellow passengers, and so on.  The days are short but I do not consider that a disadvantage since I enjoy the train itself and the ambience of the train is very inviting when it is dark outside.  And the longer nights allow me to sleep better.  During the day it is nice sitting in the warm cacoon of the train while watching the frozen countryside.  And as a photographer I love the winter lighting.  The only real downside I can think of is the shower drain occasionally get frozen up.  Of course I am a Californian for whom frozen winters are a bit of a novelty.  I'm trying to convice some traveling friends that we need to do a Churchill trip in January.

Attached are a couple of winter pix.

JBWX

Date: 04/23/16 07:11

A Churchill trip in January is really a novel trip. Have done several.   Train consist is bag, two coaches, diner-lounge, Chateau sleeper. (NO, not Prestige!!)  Be sure to take warm parkas as wind chills can be -50F at times although not necessarily regularly.  But -30F to -40F can be common.  And with the exception of Thicket Portage - Thompson - Pic - Ilford, you may see only 3 or 4 other passengers on train although at times school athletic teams travel the north on the train.  You should know that in winter account few passengers, dining is microwaved pre prepared stuff in diner.  Plenty of beer available if you are so inclined.  (Chef on during late summer through bear season.)  Train crew very friendly high seniority VIA people.  They can suggest places for you to go eat during layover in Thompson if you wish a fresh cooked lunch.  It is a step back in time railroading north of The Pas with all hand thrown switches, etc.  And train leaves the main line for the side trip up the branch line to Thompson, returning down the branch and rejoining the main 4 or more hours later.  Adventures can happen such as one trip when train got stuck in snow at Thompson!  And, of course, shower will freeze!   Or one night when one power froze up leaving Churchill at windchill of -50C.  They must have two operating locomotives in those temps. So  we returned to Churchill that Saturday night.  VIA gave me the option of flying out the next day or laying over until the next train the following Tuesday at VIA expense!! I chose the layover!  Always an adventure.  Polar Inn is a good place to lodge.  I look forward to my 20th Churchill round trip this coming fall.  A Churchill trip on VIA Trains 693/692 in simply in my blood and it doesn't seem like I will quit soon!!!  Feel free to send me a private message should you desire more info!!   Oh, hey, bear season often rates a Park Car to Churchill.  My sources tell me Park Car should be a go for this fall!!  Hey, California guys, do it!!  You will indeed experience real winter!!

Date: 04/23/16 16:53
Author: Train611

22 cars - 2 units on Via #2 (eastbound) today leaving Kamloops.

3 Dome cars on this train.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 04/24/16 07:07
Author: BigSkyBlue

viatrainrider Wrote:
> On my somewhat recent Train 1- 2 trip, I observed
> that the Chateau sleeper that was being deadheaded
> ahead of the baggage from Vancouver was taken off
> at Winnipeg.   I presume this was for use on the
> Churchill train as this train almost always uses
> one of more Chateau (non-Prestige) sleepers.

VIA 1-2, in addition to being the flagship, are also the local switcher for VIA, moving cars from the Prince Rupert train at Jasper, the Churchill train at Winnipeg, and spares from Toronto, to the shop at Vancouver.  BSB

Date: 04/24/16 08:40

BigSkyBlue Wrote:
 VIA 1-2, in addition to being the flagship, are
> also the local switcher for VIA, moving cars from
> the Prince Rupert train at Jasper, the Churchill
> train at Winnipeg, and spares from Toronto, to the
> shop at Vancouver.  BSB

Train611 reported a pretty big eastbound out of Kamloops yesterday.  Would be interesting how many of those cars were in service and how many were DH, and from where to where.  

JBWX

Date: 04/24/16 15:50
Author: The_Chief_Way

has anyone ridden the train to Puk recently?

Date: 04/25/16 07:24

On my last Churchill trip, I talked with a guy who had ridden the Puk train just prior to being on my Churchill trip.  Problem is no real place to lay over in Puk unless you have connection with someone there which he did.  And I saw the Puk train departing one recent trip when Churchill train 692 was 12 hours late leaving The Pas.  Coach and bagg consist loaded way full with supplies needed for living at Puk. Stuff in the bag loaded up to the windows of the car. Coach loaded with local residents of Puk who had been in The Pas shopping and some having strong drink.  I rode the Puk train once back when it went to Lynn Lake so I suppose then we would call it the Lynn Lake train.  Quite exciting but really a trip I would want to do once.  Both the recent Puk train I saw departing The Pas and the earlier train I rode had some freight cars making the train a mixed train!!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1469 seconds