Home Open Account Help 324 users online

Canadian Railroads > MLW Monday-Power swap at Seton

Date: 05/23/16 16:45
MLW Monday-Power swap at Seton
Author: arwye

The last Saturday of August 1980 was slow on the BCR for some reason. Only one northbound train for the rest of the day after early morning #23. So with nothing but time on our hands we drove the long way around, out of Lillooet, to Seton to meet mid afternoon,  #722 running as an Extra North with CN 2028 trailing. For whatever reason, the crew decided to re-arrange their power there. So please enjoy another scene from that fantastic summer when the MLW's were making their last stand before the invasion of SD40-2's. Which were about as common as dirt in Western Canada and highly boring by then. Although I have to say, at least the British Columbia Railway had the best paint scheme on theirs, sporting two-tone green with lightening stripe.  Richard Yaremko

Date: 05/23/16 22:13
Re: MLW Monday-Power swap at Seton
Author: LKeithR

God I miss the "real" B.C. Rail.  I so wish that I had paid more attention when I was younger.  Back in the mid-60s I spent three years working on a ranch east of Williams Lake and I rode the Budd Cars back and forth from the coast many times.  I always enjoyed the ride and the view and the people--I was just too dumb to take any pictures...

Keith Robertson
Langley, BC

Date: 05/24/16 07:08
Author: M-420

That's an ijteresting one. What were they doing? Was there some kind of issue with 722 that was forcing them to take it off of the point?
Did they go to Lillooet with the CNR unit leading?

So many questions...
Brian E

Date: 05/24/16 08:45
Author: arwye

Brian:
So long ago the details are all but lost from memory. We did not hang around Seton as we wanted to get back to Lillooet and chase this train north. We had the long road to haul, while the train took the direct route around the Lake. I'm pretty sure the CN unit did not lead. Sorry I can't provide any further information. RY

m420 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That's an ijteresting one. What were they doing?
> Was there some kind of issue with 722 that was
> forcing them to take it off of the point?
> Did they go to Lillooet with the CNR unit
> leading?
>
> So many questions...
> Brian E

Date: 05/24/16 21:21
Author: Helo-Mech

That's a fun drive over the "Mission Hill" down to Seton Portage from Carpenter Lake - in the summer. Has to be the most switchbacks that I've driven on one road. Very scenic route over some less travelled backroads. I would still like to do the Seton Portage to D'arcy road someday. Thanks RY!

Mike N.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 05/25/16 07:48
Author: trkinsptr

Remember when the Lillooet-D'arcy road was gravel! CJ

Posted from iPhone

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0499 seconds