Home Open Account Help 372 users online

Canadian Railroads > CPR ocean liner Empress of Ireland

Date: 05/29/16 06:55
CPR ocean liner Empress of Ireland
Author: Lackawanna484

Today is the commemoration of the sinking of the Canadian Pacific liner Empress of Ireland in 1914.  Sank in the St Laurence River folliwing a collision with a coal barge.  1400 lives were lost

One of the saddest days in Canadian Pacific's and Canada's history.

Date: 05/29/16 09:59
Re: CPR ocean liner Empress of Ireland
Author: eminence_grise

The "Empress of Ireland" collided with an ocean going collier, the "Storstadt".  It took place in the Gulf of St.Lawrence, just after she had set off the river pilot at Pointe aux Peres QC.

There was a huge loss of life because she sank so quickly. She had a full complement of passengers as the Salvation Army had taken much of the accommodation. They were en route to a band competition in London UK. Those lost included many families with children and were from all over North America.

CP had a large shipbuilders model of the "Empress of Ireland" on display in one of their European ticket offices. After the incident, the model was repainted to represent one of the "M" class tourist class liners. However, maritime historians knew it was the "Empress of Ireland", and it is on display at the "Empress" museum at Point aux Peres .

Because the tragedy happened in shallow water, much was salvaged shortly after the wreck, and gradually the museum is collecting items from private collections.

The "Empress of Ireland" was a favourite of river pilots and lighthouse staff.  Every Christmas, she would bake Christmas puddings for all her navigational friends.  In the case of Cape Race, the furthest east telegraph station in Newfoundland (famous for sending messages to the "Titanic"), the "Empress of Ireland" would drop a tiny lifeboat with the Christmas pudding aboard which the lighthouse staff would row out and retrieve. In time, the boat would be returned to the ship. 

Date: 05/29/16 19:11
Author: rschonfelder

How very interesting.

Rick

Date: 05/31/16 17:24
Author: DrawingroomA

There is a temporary exhibit regarding this tragedy at Pier 21 in Halifax until Nov. 13th.  I haven't seen it yet but intend to.

http://www.pier21.ca/temporary-exhibits

Date: 06/01/16 14:16
Author: notabob

Several of my friends and I dove the Empress a few years ago.  Even after nearly 100 years on the bottom (at the time), she was still a very imposing and majestic sight.   Despite the frigid water, poor visibility, and strong currents - the few days we spent diving her were probably some of the most interesting and memorable dives I've done.  Knowing her tragic history and being to reflect on it during the dives made the experience all the more fascinating.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0577 seconds