Home Open Account Help 291 users online

Canadian Railroads > Need some assistance on a location on the BCR mainline . . .

Date: 06/20/16 16:55
Need some assistance on a location on the BCR mainline . . .
Author: spdaylight

Working on a new DVD 'Forty Years of Freights' (1972-2012) and want to ID this spot for the video.

Bet Hogger Doug knows where this is . . . know it is south of MacKenzie on the line north going from Tumbler Ridge to MacKenzie and then on to  Chetwynd.

Thanks in advance.

Craig
http://mcmrailvideos.com

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 06/21/16 05:35
Re: Need some assistance on a location on the BCR mainline . . .
Author: hoggerdoug

It's been a long long time since I was on the Chetwynd sub and some things have changed.  I'll hazard a guess that it is the north switch at Kennedy, the brief bit of scenery in the clip smacks of the Pine Pass. Other guess would be Anzac.   Doug

Date: 06/21/16 12:14
Author: railsmith

At the time of the CN take-over in 2004, there were three sidings between the junctions with the Tumbler Sub and the Mackenzie Sub. Going north from the Tumbler junction at Wakely (mile 537.2), the sidings back then were at Anzac (5,820 ft, Mile 539.2), Hodda (2,800 ft, Mile 552.2) and Kennedy (10,200 ft, Mile 567.3, site of the junction with the Mack Sub).

This information is from various editions of the Canadian Trackside Guide. Between the 2009 and 2011 Guides, Anzac was dropped from the listing of timetable stations. It had been the site of a maintenance of way camp in BC Rail days.

From the above, you can likely figure the location if you can recall the length of the siding, as they are all quite different. Kennedy would certainly have been long enough to accommodate a few speeders. :-) 

Date: 06/21/16 12:54

Having viewed the video clip again, I'm wondering if it was Garbitt siding, the scenery is definately Pine Pass. The explanation in the original posting is confusing in the the description.  Doug

Date: 06/21/16 13:07

Just dug through some images taken at Garbitt, compare the mountain in the background when the camera swings around.  Very similar??? although my angle and the video are slighty different location, we were stopped in the siding at the south switch, whereas the video clip is what I would assume is the north switch. Garbitt is 8600 feet long, two different perspectives, north end south end.   Doug

Date: 06/21/16 13:08

one more looking south.   Doug

Date: 06/21/16 16:50
Author: spdaylight

Doug

By jove you got it (old English expression)!!  It is Garbitt . . . thanks to all for responding . . . what a great way using this site to get some info on a very specific question

Craig
mcmrailvideos.com

Date: 06/22/16 06:13

Sidebar to this thread.  Garbitt is shown at mile 602.0 on the BC Rail,  Chetwynd subdivision, the siding is 8,600 feet long, extended from 3,100 feet many years ago. Garbitt is in a very scenic area of the Pine Pass.  Employee time table shows Prince George at mile mile 462.4 and Chetwynd at mile 658.5 a 196 mile long subdivision.  Doug

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0381 seconds