Home Open Account Help 300 users online

Canadian Railroads > Where Are We?

Date: 06/22/16 20:12
Where Are We?
Author: edsaalig

I'm on the Canadian and we are stopped for water.  About a 40 minute stop.  There must be some history about that old station.

Date: 06/22/16 21:40
Re: Where Are We?
Author: railsmith

edsaalig Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm on the Canadian and we are stopped for water.
>  About a 40 minute stop.  There must be some
> history about that old station.

Hornepayne, Ontario. A major division point on CN -- Ruel Subdivision as far as Capreol to the east (296.2 miles) and Caramat Subdivision to Armstrong to the west (243.8).

Date: 06/22/16 21:49
Author: moonliter

Hornepayne, ON. 

Originally named Fitzback renamed Hornepayne in honour of British finacier, Robert Horne-Payne. 

Gerry Gaugl
Ottawa ON

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/16 21:50 by moonliter.

Date: 06/22/16 22:11
Author: jp1822

I remember the first time that I saw this station. It seemed somewhat out of place all considering. Is it because it is a divisional point. What was the station like during its heyday? Was their a waiting room downstairs, offices for the RR upstairs and perhaps bunking quarters. If I recall there's sort of a passageway on the second floor that leads from one part of the building to the other - whereby there's a clear passageway on the ground level. Again, I am sort of going from memory. I just could help to think that this must have been a popular station back in the day. Was it just the CN that passed through here?  

EDIT - it's too bad that this station has succumbed to such deterioration. I can remember that this was the "major" stop of the day on day 2 leaving Toronto. I was expecting to get off the train and explore not only part of the town, but also the train station. I was thinking it would be like Capreol. Instead it was like a Sioux Lookout - only Sioux Lookout has since refurbished its station. Too bad as that came just as the schedule had changed. For example Sioux Lookout used to be the next major station stop after Capreol and offered a nice morning stretch. But at the time the VIA station was in a trailer and the original station was absolutely in in horrible condition, unlike at present.  

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/16 22:21 by jp1822.

Date: 06/23/16 03:01
Author: ghCBNS

The old Roundhouse and Coaling Tower at Hornepayne are still standing. The turntable was inside the Roundhouse.

Date: 06/23/16 03:55
Author: exrtc

Up until the late eighties, the station housed a train dispatcher's office.

Chris Rye

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0747 seconds