Home Open Account Help 373 users online

Canadian Railroads > Canadin?

Date: 06/24/16 23:55
Canadin?
Author: Ardenwood

This is a picture before I became a railfan.  It was in the late afternoon or early evening and it was a westbound train, possibly a VIA Canadian.  I think I shot this from a short bridge.  Any suggestions about the time and place will be much appreciated.  I think t was over 30 years ago.

Date: 06/25/16 05:36
Re: Canadin?
Author: andersonb109

It looks like the Canadian back when it was using a mix of ex CP and CN equpiment. While VIA also ran the Super Continental on the CN route during that time period, I don't recall it having a Park Car on the rear as is in this photo. No clue on location.

Date: 06/25/16 05:53
Author: rschonfelder

That is at Glenogle taken from the TCH Highway  Bridge.  That is #1 (westbound) and looks to be from a similar era to that in the Cab ride thread above.

Rick

Date: 06/25/16 11:04
Author: zartok-35

From the winter of 1979-1980, to be exact. During this period, Ex-CN diners were used extensively on the CanadiAn instead of the EX-CP Budd Diners, which were being rebuilt at the Transcona shops in Winnipeg. We also have 2 Chateaus, 1 Manor still in CP paint, and an I-series duplex crew dorm; in the 1980-1981 winter season, the Chateaus and Is were used on the Super Continental instead of The Canadian. The Chateau and EX-CN E-series car ahead of the Diner are through sleepers from Montreal and Toronto respectively, and the extra Manor and Chateau towards the rear would've likely been added in Winnipeg with the Diner.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/16 11:09 by zartok-35.

Date: 06/27/16 11:35
Author: Ardenwood

andersonb109, rschonfelder, and zartok-35
Thank you so much for your generous help.  Haruo

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0608 seconds