Home Open Account Help 381 users online

Canadian Railroads > Ex-Wabush Railway Alco/MLW RS-18s

Date: 06/26/16 14:45
Ex-Wabush Railway Alco/MLW RS-18s
Author: fredstoltz

Happened to be in the area of Willows, Saskatchewan, where from my resources, the Ex-Wabush Railway( Chemin de fur Arnaud ) Alco/MLW RS-18 units are supposes to be stored.  They belong to a group called Saturday Locomotive Services.  They were not there.  Does anyone know where they are now?  Fred

Date: 06/26/16 15:31
Re: Ex-Wabush Railway Alco/MLW RS-18s
Author: kgmontreal

I'm guessing that you looked at the newest version of "The Canadian Trackside Guide".  According to it there should have been three ex-Wabush/Arnaud RS-18 units at Willow.  Obviously there weren't.  Here's what I can tell you.

A former TO member from Ontario just returned from a trip to the Prairies.  He found two Wabush units, the 910 and another that is derelict, in Ogema SK.  The 910 is complete but the other one is missing parts and the number is impossible to read. 

He did not go and look for another unit, the 911, which is running on a new shortline the Lake Line Railway in the Gimli MB area.  Other fans have posted photos of it.

According to the CTG another yet another RS-18 #906 is on the Northern Lights Railway which operates between Melfort and Birch Hill, SK.  I've never seen a photo of this one.

So according to the CTG there should have been five ex-Arnaud/Wabush units on the Prairies.  It seems we can account for four but not the fifth.

KG

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/16 15:36 by kgmontreal.

Date: 06/26/16 16:00
Author: fredstoltz

Thanks, it is a great help.  Fred

Date: 06/27/16 11:04
Author: tsokolan

Ted was a little hasty to consider the one RS-18 "derelict" it was prepped a year ago for paint, but I guess other matters took precedence and the painting was put on hold. The 5th unit may have been inside the shop, but I cannot confirm this.
Trevor

Posted from iPhone

Date: 06/27/16 12:11

Two of the ex. Wabush Lake Railway RS-18's sit at Ogema along with an ex. Portland Terminal T6 and ex. Conway Scenic GE 44 Tonner. July 19 2015

-Trevor

Date: 06/30/16 04:36

I'll add the 5th unit is reported to have gone to Thunder Rail, a shortline in northern Sasaktchewan.

-Trevor

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0447 seconds