Home Open Account Help 383 users online

Canadian Railroads > Extra VIA Coaches

Date: 06/29/16 07:51
Extra VIA Coaches
Author: cn6218

It's not just the West Coast and Dorval that could benefit from some weed wacking (see some recent threads).  This favourite location on the border of Shubencadie and Milford in Nova Scotia is getting rather overgrown too.  The fields on either side are well maintained, but the 100 foot wide RoW, dating from the building of the Nova Scotia Rwy. in the 1850s, has become a virtual green belt.  Maybe we need steamers again, belching noxious cinders out their stacks, to keep the vegetation in check.

​With that rant out of the way, the real reason for this post is to note that the Eastbound Ocean on Monday had a couple deadheading HEP-1 cars behind the power.  The two coaches (8116 and 8134) should leave Halifax on 15 for Bathurst today, on some sort of charter.  They are expected to be set out at Matepédia tonight, and then picked up for the return trip by tomorrow's 14.

​The second location is near mile 12 of the Bedford Sub, in Bedford, NS.

GTD

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/29/16 14:14 by cn6218.

Date: 07/02/16 05:16
Re: Extra VIA Coaches
Author: cn6218

Two days later the same equipment left Halifax, this time with the HEP-1 coaches occupied.  They are shown here passing mile 4 of the Bedford Sub in the Halifax Cut, and going through the former crossover at Southwestern Jct. towards the beginning of CTC, around the curve in the distance at mile 5.  Note that although the train appears to be taking the diverging route, the switch is actually lined normally.  The straight through route would be the beginning of the Halifax Transfer Track.  The main line is OCS between Fairview Jct. (mile 5) and mile 1.8.

​It seems my original information was incorrect, and the Budd coaches will be returning to Halifax on July 4th with the regular Ocean that day.

GTD

Date: 07/02/16 16:56
Re: Extra VIA Coaches
Author: joemvcnj

I wish a HEP-I coach were reservable coach option every day on the Ocean. I can't stand the REN car seats for overnight travel. Been there - done that on the Enterprise a couple of times.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/03/16 06:22 by joemvcnj.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.045 seconds