Home Open Account Help 359 users online

Canadian Railroads > Wines on the #1 Candian

Date: 09/22/16 14:18
Wines on the #1 Candian
Author: teebone

Anyone recall what sorts of wines they pour on the #1?  Anything decent or not?  Thank you.

Date: 09/22/16 17:19
Re: Wines on the #1 Candian
Author: algoma11

The last time I rode in 2012 they were showcasing wines from the Niagara Ontario region.!
​They tend to shift the wine selection to a different area of Canada every so often. 

Mike Bannon
St Catharines, ON

Date: 09/22/16 19:53
Author: Lark

Bring your own...  I work for a Cabernet / Merlot / Cabernet Franc / Malbec / Chardonnay, California Winery...  Send me a private message...  I have traveled on the Canadian before -- no problems with BYOW...

Date: 09/23/16 07:05
Author: DrawingroomA

Lark Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Bring your own...  I work for a Cabernet / Merlot
> / Cabernet Franc / Malbec / Chardonnay, California
> Winery...  Send me a private message...  I have
> traveled on the Canadian before -- no problems
> with BYOW...

Indeed, you may bring your own alcoholic beverages provided you consume it in private accommodation. I generally bring along a bottle or two, depending on those with whom I am travelling. I do, however, like to enjoy an afternoon "restorative" of gin and tonic in the Park car.

Generally, I find the wine that VIA gives away in the Business Class to be better than what they sell you in the dining car(s) of the Canadian. I have been disappointed in many of them, especially the reds. One that is always acceptable is the Riesling. As I recall from my last trip in April the wines by the glass were in the $8.00 range and that includes taxes.

Date: 09/23/16 18:03
Author: rschonfelder

This thread tells me there is definitely a change in the demographic that rides the "Candian".

Rick

Date: 09/23/16 18:51
Author: CarolVoss

rschonfelder Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This thread tells me there is definitely a change
> in the demographic that rides the "Candian".
>
> Rick
Not sure where you are coming from or  going to with this comment--we rode Prestige class Vancouver to Toronto leaving Sunday night July 31--we rode with our dear friend who knows more about wines than most anyone--  we laughed that the 3 if us powered the train across Canada  with our consumption of Johnny  Walker Red-- being a wine snob did not enter into our  overall enjoyment of the trip--what is your point? :-)

Carol Voss
Bakersfield, CA

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0447 seconds