Home Open Account Help 385 users online

Canadian Railroads > Rocky Mountaineer - 1990 Version

Date: 09/23/16 15:03
Rocky Mountaineer - 1990 Version
Author: MrGrumpy

I see a fair number of RMR shots here on Trainorders.  Here's one I took back in 1990, the first year of the Rocky Mountaineer, westbound near North Road Control in New Westminster BC.

Cheers,
Dwayne

Date: 09/24/16 17:11
Re: Rocky Mountaineer - 1990 Version
Author: jp1822

Right after RMR took over from VIA Rail (Rockies by Daylight as I think it was known under VIA), you could hardly tell the difference between RMR and the old VIA version. Both were operating with the old CN Blue and yellow striped cars. Later these cars would be painted into a white, blue and red, and now the current scheme. Although back then it was all what we would refer now to as "red leaf service." RMR has now phased out the Red Leaf service in favor of Silver Leaf and Gold Leaf. They are going after even higher "loot" as Silver and Gold Leaf is more money than Red Leaf!

RMR was also picky about what "exact cars" it took over from VIA Rail from the old CN line of cars. I think the Dayniter coaches were most preferred, and RMR wanted the seats to match up to the windows.

Date: 09/26/16 15:15
Author: rrpreservation

Are Daynighters still in use on the new Rocky Mountaineer in that case?

Date: 09/26/16 16:35
Author: jp1822

rrpreservation Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Are Daynighters still in use on the new Rocky
> Mountaineer in that case?

No because RMR is just booking Silver Leaf (single level dome similiar to the VIA Panorama Car) and Gold Leaf (Bi-level domes) service cars. They discontinued Red Leaf Service, which was the more typical "coach" staff and that I think MAY have had the Dayniters.  

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0417 seconds