Home Open Account Help 263 users online

Canadian Railroads > Rocky Mountaineer Rodgers Pass question

Date: 09/27/16 07:55
Rocky Mountaineer Rodgers Pass question
Author: BobL

My wife and I are taking the Rocky Mountaineer next week and I'm wondering which route is normally taken over Rodgers Pass - the Connaught Tunnel or Mount McDonald Tunnel?

Date: 09/27/16 11:58
Re: Rocky Mountaineer Rodgers Pass question
Author: RogersPass

BobL Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My wife and I are taking the Rocky Mountaineer
> next week and I'm wondering which route is
> normally taken over Rodgers Pass - the Connaught
> Tunnel or Mount McDonald Tunnel?
Hi Bob,
The train 99.99% of the time take the Connaught track.
I hope you enjoy the trip, it should be.
Are you going Gold or silver??
Cheers Brian in New Zealand..

Date: 09/27/16 14:39
Author: BobL

We're taking the Gold service.  Very much looking forward to it but we are bringing an umbrella just in case!

Date: 09/27/16 15:37
Author: eminence_grise

Bring warm clothes. The snow line is coming down the mountainsides.

Rogers Pass was named for US Colonel A.B.Rogers.

CP offered a $5000 prize for any civil engineer who could find a viable railway route through the Selkirk Mountains.  Rogers was a military engineer already responsible for some successful pathfinding in the US.

​Legendary for his tenacity and his capacity for colourful swearing, Rogers located the route with the aid of his nephew Albert Rogers, who chronicled the event.

​Some years later, Colonel Rogers was killed when kicked by his horse on yet another pathfinding enterprise.

Date: 09/28/16 15:30
Author: swirsk53

Was just on the Rocky Mountaineer from Vancouver to Banff last week in Gold service.  Very amazing trip. We requested in advance that we be seated in the last car of the train to be able to really take advantage of the observation platform.  While our car was mid-train from Vancouver to Kamloops, after the Jasper section of the train was split, we had the end of train position for the second day and the ascent of the Rockies.  If you are interested in this, my advice is to call in advance.  While they could not commit, they told us they would do what they could to accomodate our request. 

Other option to consider is to ask for first car in the Gold section of the train. There you would have view allowing you to look out over the front of the train through the windows at the end/front of the car.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0279 seconds