Home Open Account Help 303 users online

Canadian Railroads > CN station, Dorval QC, 1966

Date: 10/18/16 13:28
CN station, Dorval QC, 1966
Author: eminence_grise

Across from the CP station at Dorval QC until 1967 was the former Grand Trunk CN station. In the early 1960's, CN changed the alignment of their main line through Dorval to serve the new Montreal classification yard (later named Taschereau yard)

​This station was built on an older alignment and is well back from the tracks.  This was an open train order station at the time, however the train order signals were on a mast closer to the tracks.

The GTR built impressive stone stations at many locations between Montreal and Toronto in the 1850's, my guess is the Dorval station dates from the 1890's and was of wooden construction. It has been insulated with brown "insulbrick" tar paper likely in the 1940's

​Most of the windows and doors have been painted blue to reflect the 1960's "Red,White and Blue" rebranding of CN passenger services, however, a single door remains in an older green paint scheme. I think the building was already being slowly demolished, note the wooden crate on the platform probably intended for scrap building materials. I have no doubt that the car belonged to the station agent or operator who often parked their cars on or near the platform where they could keep an eye on them.

​I recall that the station waiting room had an oil heater. Some time around 1965, I was showing off to a friend sliding on the ice of a nearby pond on a very cold day. The ice broke, and I fell waist deep into the frigid pond.

The CN station agent was kind enough to let me warm up beside the heater.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/18/16 21:43 by eminence_grise.

Date: 10/18/16 20:03
Re: CN station, Dorval QC, 1966
Author: The_Chief_Way

Nice post.

Date: 10/19/16 20:04
Author: 4489

WOW, great shot Phil, thanks.  The Atlas Copco building to the left, the Tilden rent a van, the stais down to Cote-de-Liesse, too cool!

Date: 10/21/16 17:56
Author: wabash2800

And a 1966 Ford Galaxie?

​Victor A. Baird
http://www.erstwhilepublications.com

Date: 10/21/16 19:01
Author: choodude

Date: 10/22/16 08:18
Author: wabash2800

Ok, then a Pontiac GTO?

​Victor A. Baird
http://www.erstwhilepublications.com

Date: 10/22/16 08:55
Author: eminence_grise

It is a Pontiac Parisienne.  GM and Ford both marketed slightly different models of car in Quebec. Ford sold the Mercury Montcalm.

The marketing ploy worked, Parisiennes were popular as taxis in Montreal.

Date: 10/25/16 10:19
Author: LKeithR

eminence_grise Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It is a Pontiac Parisienne...

Close...but no.

It's a '65-'66 Pontiac Catalina--basic 4-door "post" model.  The Parisienne was a somewhat more luxurious 4-door "hard-top" while the Bonneville was a 2-door "hard-top".  The GTO was a "slightly" smaller sports (?) model...

Keith Robertson
Langley, BC

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0439 seconds