Home Open Account Help 354 users online

Canadian Railroads > Churchill

Date: 12/03/16 17:17
Churchill
Author: renf

Does anyone know how many ships called at Churchill in the 2016 sailing season to load grain?  Thank you,

Date: 12/03/16 17:32
Re: Churchill
Author: stanhunter

None.  The port was closed for the 2016 season.  The future of the Port of Churchill is very much in doubt right now.

Date: 12/03/16 19:58
Author: shortlineboss

Why?

Mike Root
Madras, OR

Date: 12/04/16 03:26
Author: cn1063

The Port of Churchill and rail line were open in 1929, the Canadian government was highly involved as an effort to provide farmers in Saskatchewan and Manitoba a cheaper option to ship grain to world markets, through the Canadian Wheat Board. The line is built on unstable terrian for the northern part of the route (muskeg and tundra). CN had weight restrictions on the line prohibiting the use of cylindrical hoppers, so 40' boxcars were retained for Churchill service until about 1995. Someone at CN stuck their neck out to allow the use of Hopper cars from Amery, MB, all the way to Churchill. Considering the ice free shipping season is usually around 4 months, it's not a profitable enough venture to support the port and rail infrastructure. Many communities north of Gilliam (where the highway ends) and in Nunavut rely on supplies shipped by rail such as fuel and groceries. Omnitrax purchased the line from CN in 1997, and hoped to get approval from the government to have a new company CanRailWest gain running rights over CN and CP to service Branchlines in the prairie provinces, and feed the HBR more traffic. CN and CP predicably took issue to this, and lobbied the government to prevent this from happening.

In short, the line really isn't commercially viable, really it's only future is one as a crown corporation (a company owned by the government). Or with a subsidy from governments, in addition to the fees Via pays to operate 690-693 three times per week

Date: 12/04/16 10:58

This month's Trans magazine reports that the consist of #690 and #690 has been augmented substantially by VIA Rail during the seasons when either
Polar Bears of northeen lights may be readily viewed in Churchill.  However, it is difficult to see much of a future for this line.

Date: 12/04/16 17:37
Author: viatrainrider

On my recent trip to Churchill (my 20th!) 692/693 had full dining car food service and Park car.  Park car bar not in service but coffee was always available there. Drawing room A is available for sale.  Pretty classy for 692/693;  I have often referred to this consist as the "Little Canadian/".  Normal consist during bear, whale, and northern lights would be bag, two coaches, diner, Chateau sleeper, and Park Car.  Often additional Chateau sleepers are added for tour groups.  During off peak, same consist minus the Park car.  However, food service is microwaved fare.

I have not yet heard a "ride it while you can" attitude now that HBR has cut back to one freight in all directions per week.  But as other writers have indicated, this cannot be a profitable line for Omnitrax.  However, I have been told that 692/693 are so called "mandatory services" account the train serving First Nation and other communities with no roads to outside world.

This is a fascinating trip to the Far North on dark railroad  with excellent  on board VIA staff. The food while not fancy Train 1 - 2 stuff, is very good northern type dining during period with chef.  The Pot Roast at dinner can't be beat and the Railroader at breakfast, a huge serving of eggs, pancakes, meat, toast and steaming coffee keeps this guy going the better part of the day.

The ride gets in the blood, so to speak.  Likely I'll be back for trip 21 next fall.

Date: 12/05/16 17:24

Thank you very much for the information.  My wife and I traveled twice to Churchill from Winnipeg.  We hope to make another trip to see the polar
bears in the late fall of 2017.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0483 seconds