Home Open Account Help 276 users online

Canadian Railroads > Where Did Roger Shoot These Two Sequences?

Date: 01/10/17 14:38
Where Did Roger Shoot These Two Sequences?
Author: MartyBernard

Roger Puta shot these in May 1982.

2 photos with VIA 6553 leading.  No snow.

3 photos with VIA 6553 leading.  Snow.

By the numbers Kodak stamped on the slide mounts, these look to be on the same roll of film in the sequence shown.  First with no snow and then in a different place with snow.

Thanks for your help,
Marty Bernard

Date: 01/10/17 14:39
Re: Where Did Roger Shoot These Two Sequences?

Date: 01/10/17 15:14
Author: exrtc

The first two shots look like the Old Yale Road crossing, just east of Rosedale on the Yale sub.

Chris Rye

Date: 01/11/17 14:03
Author: cp1400

Shots 3 - 4 - 5 appear to be where a westbound train would duck under the Trans Canada Highway approaching Lake Louise. The layout of the railroad and river plus, if I see the signal number correctly, it looks like 114x which would all correspond to this location.

As for shots 1 - 2 ???  I suspect this is way east of Lake Louise somewhere. It's the same train consist. Maybe around Canmore but I cannot quite place a level crossing with a highway on the north side that looks like this. Marty, can you get any more detail from that highway sign in pic 1?

cp1400

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/17 14:06 by cp1400.

Date: 01/11/17 14:33

I doubt this will help.

Date: 01/11/17 21:58
Author: sarailfan

Looks like the highway sign has Calgary on the top, Banff below. Possibly at the crossing at Castle Junction where the highway to Radium takes off from Highway 1 with a cutoff to the Bow Valley Parkway as well?

Posted from Android

Darren Boes
Lethbridge, AB
Southern Alberta Railfan

Date: 01/11/17 22:41
Author: cp1400

That zoom on the sign does help. It establishes that the photo is between Calgary and Banff as the arrows that Darren has pointed out go in opposite directions. This rules out Castle Jct. My final answer would be what is now Spring Creek Gate level crossing on the westbound approach to Canmore. It may have had a different name back when the picture was taken. The mountain backdrop (at least what can be seen) would be about right.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@51.0840579,-115.3464485,16.75z?hl=en

cp1400

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0377 seconds