Home Open Account Help 258 users online

Canadian Railroads > CP Rail. old news??

Date: 01/12/17 13:19
CP Rail. old news??
Author: hoggerdoug

Saw this the other day, I heard of the incident, would seem some charges have been laid.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/cp-rail-bc-mountain-train-1.3930258

Date: 01/12/17 14:10
Re: CP Rail. old news??
Author: TCnR

from the article:

"If convicted, CP Rail could face a fine of up to $1 million.Jackson and McClelland each face a maximum penalty of fines of $50,000 per count and up to six months in jail.The accused are all due in court in the town of Revelstoke on Feb. 1."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/17 14:20 by TCnR.

Date: 01/13/17 10:46
Re: CP Rail. old news??
Author: eminence_grise

The news of this incident (or non incident, as there was no runaway) was released in little statements in the Calgary and Revelstoke papers.

​First we heard that there may have been an unattended train left unsecured "east of Revelstoke", then that CP had twice been visited by Transport Canada in Calgary to listen to taped radio conversations .

Later the location of the unsecured train, Greeley (about six miles east of the crew change point of Revelstoke) , the train number and the circumstances were released.

This involved an operating crew very close to their maximum 12 hour day, and rail yard congestion due to a possible strike by operating employees at Revelstoke.

​The crew were instructed to take the locomotives light to Revelstoke without securing the train. This instruction was broadcast from the station at Revelstoke.

​This is what has been released in various news releases, as well as the fact that a CP manager was relieved of his duties and subsequently fired and that the manager is suing CP for unfair dismissal.

This is my old working territory as a trainman, conductor and locomotive engineer until retirement in 2005 and I know some of the individuals involved.

​I also know the gradient profile at Greeley, and the likelyhood or non likelyhood that a cut of freight cars left without handbrakes would move unattended.

​The image in the CBC news article would be at the exact location where the train was left unattended.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/17 13:32 by eminence_grise.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0407 seconds