Home Open Account Help 234 users online

Canadian Railroads > V!A Transcon stopping at Vankleek Hill

Date: 01/15/17 05:05
V!A Transcon stopping at Vankleek Hill
Author: kgmontreal

Inspired by the thread below I dug out my photo of the VIA Montreal-Vancouver train making a station stop at Vankleek Hill, Ontario on CP's M&O subdivision.  The date was October 1978 and as the photo shows that the VIA train was essentially the former CN Super Continental equipment rather than the ex-CP stainless steel "Canadian" equipment.  During the early VIA years there were many schedule and route changes for the Montreal-Vancouver train.  The train shown here had departed Montreal's Central Station and backed across to the CP at Dorval before continuing to Ottawa on CP tracks.  During another period the stainless steel "Canadian" equipment  ran on CN's Montreal-Toronto corridor then departed for western Canada from Toronto.  Eventually the VIA Canadian" departed from Toronto with passengers from Montreal travelling on regular corridor trains.

Ken Goslett

Date: 01/15/17 05:58
Re: V!A Transcon stopping at Vankleek Hill
Author: ghCBNS

Here's a brief outline that appeared in timetables showing the changes VIA made in the late '70s in combining the former CN & CP Transcontinental services:

1 – October 29, 1978 Timetable
2 – June 17, 1979 timetable
3 – October 28, 1979 Timetable

In summer 1980 both the Canadian and Super Continental ran as separate trains on CP via Thunder Bay

I believe the flip-flop of the Canadian originating in Montreal instead of Toronto was so the xCP equipment could be maintained at Glen Yard in Montreal.

Date: 01/15/17 09:01
Author: joemvcnj

Very nice system they had then.

Date: 01/15/17 10:49
Author: feclark

Ken,
Thanks for posting this great shot for us. You got stabbed by the cloud and still nailed the exposure; well done!
Fred

Date: 01/15/17 11:24
Re: VIA Transcon stopping at Vankleek Hill
Author: zartok-35

I recognize that consist, the maiden voyage of the VIA Super Connie out of Montreal! Lead units 6516, 6624, and 6524, the CN painted coach is 5548, and the CN cafe lounge is 758.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/17 11:28 by zartok-35.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0509 seconds