Home Open Account Help 275 users online

Canadian Railroads > Ivaco Rolling Mills at L'Orignal Part 1 - The Cranes

Date: 01/15/17 10:44
Ivaco Rolling Mills at L'Orignal Part 1 - The Cranes
Author: feclark

This follows on from yesterday's post about Vankleek Hill and Hawkesbury, and kgmontreal's excellent, informative replies (no surprise there); see:
http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?15,4203116
I must say I am growing to love Train Orders more and more. Here it is, 29 years after the fact, and I'm finding out stuff about what I shot way back then. Last post highlighted stuff on the trip to and from the Ivaco Rolling Mills plant. In harmony with what Ken noted about the plant, what we saw was basically a scrap recycling operation, with lots of scrap being moved and gons being emptied by various crane-mounted electromagnets. Here are the ones I shot, again all on March 17, 1988. The information is a bit thin, taken from the Canadian Trackside Guide.
1. This is crane #2, apparently 22t capacity, Browning/Wellman model MLC300. We had to shoot this one from the shaded side, not too bad given the yellow body. As you'll appreciate from photos, especially of the locomotives, it was a very warm spring day and the site was a muddy mess.
2. Crane #5, capacity unknown, supposed to be a Browning/Wellman model ML98C. No, I have no idea what model numbers signify.
3. Indicated as no# in the TSG, this was an absolute beauty of a beast, with its former identity in terms of the crane frame showing up in spray paint as CR 45206, s/n 11651. According to the TSG, the crane body is a Caterpillar model of some kind. This was the most active unit we saw, emptying gondolas of scrap metal.
All three of these, as rail-mounted cranes, made the TSG. The next one did not, for obvious reasons.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/17 16:56 by feclark.

Date: 01/15/17 10:47
Re: Ivaco Rolling Mills at L'Orignal Part 1 - The Cranes

4. So here's one that didn't make the guide, but it's really funky and would make a great scratch-build project for an industrial modeller. It appears the frame is just two great I-beams with cross-members, and the cab looks a bit home-built as well. Not every part of the property is accessible by rail, and they also had some track-mounted cranes, parts of one of which you'll see in the loco photos to come.
Hope you enjoy something a little less mainstream/mainline.
Fred

Date: 01/15/17 14:42
Author: kgmontreal

That last crane is a Dominion built in Lachine, Quebec that was converted converted to a wagon crane and had a high cab added.

KG

Date: 01/15/17 16:28

kgmontreal Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That last crane is a Dominion built in Lachine,
> Quebec that was converted converted to a wagon
> crane and had a high cab added.
>
> KG

Ken,
And again, thanks for the information.
Fred

Date: 01/16/17 13:06
Author: inCHI

Neat!

Date: 01/18/17 11:49
Author: greasemonkey

Very neat!  The Caterpillar based crane is built off of a Cat 245 excavator.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0452 seconds