Home Open Account Help 322 users online

Canadian Railroads > Ivaco Rolling Mills at L'Orignal Part 2 - The Locomotives

Date: 01/15/17 16:45
Ivaco Rolling Mills at L'Orignal Part 2 - The Locomotives
Author: feclark

To finish off what I have of this operation, previous post on cranes at
http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/posting.php?15,edit,4203414
here are the four diesels that were on the property at the time, March 17, 1988. They are presented in order from oldest to youngest build date; all were at least second-hand, if not more indirect. I won't reproduce all the details from Canadian Trackside Guide.
1. Plymouth ML-8, listed as #3, though we saw no number on it; b/d 10/40. The logo on the cab side is apparently "CR", reflecting its prior identity as Canadian Refractories #3. Look closely and you will see that indeed it is running on rails, almost lost in the slop of a muddy complex and a warm spring day. In this shot, and the one of 25T, you'll see bits of another Ivaco crane, track-mounted (not to be confused with rail-mounted!).
2. GE 25t, imaginatively numbered 25T, with the older-style carbody and cab construction; b/d 6/44 (when you see a build date like this, you wonder if it could have rolled off the erecting floor on D-Day). This was tucked in very tightly and this was the best angle I could pull off; I've lightened up on the scanning a bit to let some detail show through. I know, arwye, if this was a digital file, all that detail would be there with no sweat, and K64 truly is inferior. But I still loved shooting with it!
3. Alco, not MLW (so it's not eligible for tomorrow's posts), S-4 250-60, with a complex history, b/d 11/50 as PRR 8892. In addition to the critters above, this is why I like industrials: you've got the stack extension, and then the nifty home-made winterization panels, bolted-on plywood with neat quarter-elliptical, rotating hatches to allow some cooler air in when desired. Note the slop in the foreground that just about covered the whole complex.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/17 16:59 by feclark.

Date: 01/15/17 16:54
Re: Ivaco Rolling Mills at L'Orignal Part 2 - The Locomotives
Author: feclark

4. Another shot of 250-60, to show the context a little bit better. If you ever want to model scrap metal operations, you'd need to do some serious warping of the side panels of your gondolas.
5. Finally, GE 65t supposedly numbered 65T, which would make sense, though again we saw no numbering on the locomotive, b/d 2/51. Although the motive power collection was a bit mongrel, you have to admire the fact that at least they were all painted into one colour, with a few lettering variations.
Between yesterday's post, and today's earlier one, this wraps up what I have of this operation in eastern Ontario. A look at the current Canadian Trackside Guide shows these are all gone, which is no surprise, though all three rail-mounted cranes from my post Part 1 are still listed.
Enjoy,
Fred 

Date: 01/15/17 17:14
Author: Mberry

Fascinating. I shot what apparently was an MLW S-3 there a bit under two years ago, also quite customized.

http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?15,3727221,3727221#msg-3727221

Michael

Date: 01/16/17 03:48
Author: kgmontreal

I've really enjoyed your Ivaco thread.  The crawler crane in the background was also a Dominion and was supplied by Equipements BP of Ste Catherine, QC.  Bertrand Proulx, the equipment dealer, sold Ivaco one or more S-series switchers over the years.  He supplied one that was National Harbours Board.

KG

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0535 seconds