Home Open Account Help 262 users online

Canadian Railroads > VIA Both Ways At Unity, SK

Date: 02/16/17 20:18
VIA Both Ways At Unity, SK
Author: feclark

From a trip to Saskatchewan in 2015, here are VIA's #1 and #2 on the same day at Unity, on CN's Wainwright Sub, with CP's Hardisty Sub flying over the top. According to the Trackside Guide, this is MP 23.0 on the Hardisty Sub, just west of Unity proper, and it's MP 64.1 on the Wainwright Sub.
1. We were walking in to get to CN on the other side of the overpass, when the scanner told us we had VIA #2, coming fast and late. Scheduled for 0610, which would be daylight but earlier than we could finish breakfast, the time is 0734, perfect for our schedule. We were able to set up in the NE quadrant for ideal sun angles. Led by 6417 and 6408, there are 23 cars, including three Skylines, and Glacier Park at the rear. The lens is set at 48 mm.
2. Later in the day, after we'd taken some shots west of the flyover, we were set up east of it, on the south side, hoping for an EB CN freight to show up. CN #119 pulled up to the west switch and came to a stop. We figured we had our EB coming - we figured wrong. Completely unexpectedly, VIA #1, scheduled for 0214, blew for the range road crossing and was on us before we could move east for clear angles. I won't share the weedy shot I took. We had to be content with the going-away photo of 6455 and 6420, at 1155. Who says CN doesn't do its best to expedite VIA at the expense of its freight traffic?
3. Bringing up the rear was Kootenay Park; both photos set at 55 mm. I don't know if there was any better location we could have managed, except perhaps back at the west switch as it came by 119. By the way, at 1200 the freight pulled, and then, wouldn't you know it, managed to clear the overpass completely just before a CP WB potash train showed up at 1205. Rats. Enjoy the stainless. Another example of bad schedule-keeping helping out the railfans.
Fred

Date: 02/16/17 20:41
Re: VIA Both Ways At Unity, SK
Author: Mudrock

Very nice photos! Thanks for sharing!

Chris

Date: 02/17/17 03:07
Author: andersonb109

Still don't like the gray band on the Prestige cars. It breaks up the overall look of the train. I doubt most Prestige passengers even  notice the difference. Perhaps some sort of plaque indicating the service next to the doors would have been a better option. 

Date: 02/17/17 04:52
Author: Train611

Good looking images!

Posted from iPhone

Date: 02/17/17 09:44
Author: feclark

andersonb109 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Still don't like the gray band on the Prestige
> cars. It breaks up the overall look of the train.
> I doubt most Prestige passengers even  notice the
> difference. Perhaps some sort of plaque indicating
> the service next to the doors would have been a
> better option. 

I couldn't agree more; the blue pops off the stainless steel, and the grey blends in. How about stripes in that green/blue colour they use on the F40s? Anybody have the time and Photoshop skills to try it?
Fred

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0441 seconds