Home Open Account Help 378 users online

Canadian Railroads > MLW Monday Hand-me-down C-424

Date: 02/20/17 03:53
MLW Monday Hand-me-down C-424
Author: kgmontreal

Passage by the Canadian Parliament of the Canada Transportation Act in 1996 allowed for the creation of shortline railways.  One of the most successful spin-offs of Canadian Pacific routes has been the Quebec Gatineau, owned by Genesee Wyoming and operator of lines from Montreal to Quebec City and Montreal to Gatineau.   This photo was taken in the early years of QG when the shortline still operated second hand CP C-424 units.  Unit #4212 had a QGRY lettering patch applied below its number in this 1998 view at their Outremont yard.  It was coupled to Buffalo & Pittsburgh 886 an ex-N&W GP9 and another ex-CP C-424.  The three units were between runs on the Lachute sub to Gatineau.

Barely visible in the background are a pair of SD45 units, one in B&P orange, the other in ex-Southern Pacific gray.  The bigger units were for use on the Trois Rivieres sub.

Ken Goslett

Date: 02/20/17 05:29
Re: MLW Monday Hand-me-down C-424
Author: refarkas

Great lashup. That Geep in the middle looks so-out-of-place.
Bob

Date: 02/20/17 09:16
Re: MLW Monday Hand-me-down C-424
Author: feclark

A nice scene, including the van and plow in the background. One of my omissions was never getting out to shoot on the Lachute Sub, or getting the Thurso & Nation Valley (well, I guess that's two omissions. Care to post T&NVR for next Shortline Sunday that you do? The L'Orignal post from yesterday was nice to see).
Fred

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0321 seconds