Home Open Account Help 300 users online

Canadian Railroads > Battle of Vimy Ridge

Date: 03/25/17 19:43
Battle of Vimy Ridge
Author: 4489

The 100th anniversary of the Battle of Vimy Ridge will be commemorated next month.

This was the first time that 4 Canadian Divisions fought together.  The 4 coloured squares represent the 4 Canadian Divisions.

VIA Rail is applying these logos to VIA 1/Business Class cars. 

This car was on Train #65 this morning.

Date: 03/25/17 19:57
Re: Battle of Vimy Ridge
Author: Lackawanna484

A huge sacrifice of men in battle.

War Museum Canada

Date: 03/25/17 20:45
Author: ts1457

Lackawanna484 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> A huge sacrifice of men in battle.

A great aunt of mine lost her husband in that battle. Unfortunately she never got over it and led a very depressed life.

One might not think of Canadians as great warriors, but they are.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/17 08:23 by ts1457.

Date: 03/26/17 06:27
Author: Mberry

At least one other car (VIA 4000) has this logo:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/15665424@N06/33469083251/in/dateposted/

Michael

Date: 03/26/17 08:08
Author: Jimmies

Lackawanna484 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> A huge sacrifice of men in battle.
>
> War Museum Canada

​Everyone on here should click on your link to the War Museum, and just take a moment to read the brief story of this incredible battle.

Jim

Date: 03/26/17 09:28
Author: PHall

The casuality rates on most of the "major" World War I battles were very, very high.
Vimy Ridge was the first major battle where the Canadians were in the lead and they paid the price for it too.

Date: 03/26/17 14:41
Author: rschonfelder

ts1457 Wrote:
> One might not think of Canadians as great
> warriors, but they are.

Who the hell thinks THAT???  An incredibly stupid comment!

Vimy Ridge is the Canadian version of Gallipoli.  Lest we forget.

Rick

Date: 03/26/17 16:45
Author: Lackawanna484

The final assault on the peak was done with bayonets. In some cases, against machine gun emplacements. That takes exceptional courage.

===================

The body count on the Imperial side was enormous during the war. The incredible number of dead Australian and New Zealand troops in the Gallipoli fiasco provoked strong political push back in those countries to expanded participation in the war.

By late 1917, the UK war cabinet decided to extend the conscription to Ireland, even though several thousand English  troops were already stationed there to keep order.  The ensuing crisis polarized the Irish population, and led directly to the civil war which resulted in the partition. 

Date: 03/26/17 21:59
Author: Willie-J

Via should apply this logo to every car in their system.

Bill

Date: 03/27/17 07:04
Author: 4489

rschonfelder Wrote:

>

>
> Vimy Ridge is the Canadian version of Gallipoli. 
> Lest we forget.
>
> Rick

Umm NO it is not.  Plain and simple!

Date: 03/27/17 08:56
Author: jbwest

Thanks for a Canadian history lesson.  As a Yank I was not aware of Vimy Ridge, but Google directed me to some pretty interesting accounts.  What was the name of the town near Kamloops that basically disappearred after the war because so few of the men made it home.  In more modern times I would recommend the book by General Hillier, "A Soldier First" that is a good account of how much Canada contributed in Afganistan, not to mention some good insight (at least for a Yank) into Canadian politics.  He was not only a Canadian but a Newfie!

JBWX

Date: 03/27/17 09:11
Author: sarailfan

Walhachin was the town west of Kamloops that withered away in the post war period. There were also many towns on the Prairies, and likely across the country which were gutted by the war. May we never forget.

Posted from Android

Darren Boes
Lethbridge, AB
Southern Alberta Railfan

Date: 03/27/17 11:10
Lest we forget....
Author: jbwest

This is the memorial at Omaha beach, which struck me as being incredibly appropriate given the carnage of that landing.  We are very lucky that so many gave so much to preserve our way of life, in so many battles.

JBWX 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.3417 seconds