Home Open Account Help 290 users online

Canadian Railroads > MLW Monday - saying goodbye to an old friend

Date: 03/27/17 07:10
MLW Monday - saying goodbye to an old friend
Author: Mberry

After years of continuous deterioration (and neglect), the city of Farnham has announced that M636 CP 4723 has been sold to a scrapper (for $1000) and will be cut up on site shortly. I've been visiting Farnham and photographing this engine since 2005 and I will be sad to see it go. I visited Farnham this past Saturday to photograph it one last time (the first two shots).

The third shot shows it when I first visited it in October 2005. The caboose was scraped in 2012 and the speeder a few years earlier.

Michael Berry

Date: 03/27/17 08:46
Re: MLW Monday - saying goodbye to an old friend
Author: CPR_4000

I guess you can't have nice things up north, either. :-(
Did the city even offer it to a museum? Not that Exporail has loads of room, but geez . . .

Date: 03/27/17 08:58
Author: newtonville150

Why get the things in the first place if you're not prepared to look after them?

Date: 03/27/17 10:41
Author: thb401

Thanks for the Pictures and update Michael.
Sad to see it go.
Bill

Date: 03/27/17 11:53
Author: eminence_grise

A decade earlier, the Town of Mount Royal scrapped a GE boxcab electric that was "cluttering up the city storage yard", and did it without any public debate.

At least in that case, they allowed Exporail to salvage some of the parts.

Farnham has issues with the railway, still upset that CP sold the line to shortline operators, and that two Farnham railroaders were charged in the Lac Megantic tragedy.

Date: 03/27/17 15:34
Author: tsokolan

The sad thing about this is the only "damage" to the unit is some missing lenses and graffiti on the paint. But, if the town will not spend any money on upkeep (or a fence!) then it will become an eyesore to the general public. 

-Trevor

Date: 03/30/17 08:25
Author: tomstp

Most all of the city governments here in the US just ignored the display units after "gratefully" accepting them.  I just cannot understand why they can't maintain them, they have to maintain everthing else  they have.

Date: 03/30/17 17:12
Author: RuleG

tomstp Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Most all of the city governments here in the US
> just ignored the display units after "gratefully"
> accepting them.  I just cannot understand why
> they can't maintain them, they have to maintain
> everthing else  they have.

Many US cities are too financially strapped to sufficiently maintain their infrastructure - streets, parks, sidewalks, stairways, water pipes and streetlights.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0412 seconds